Author Topic: Squirrel hunt with my Valentine and our Mt. Curs  (Read 2802 times)

Offline Marks

Squirrel hunt with my Valentine and our Mt. Curs
« on: February 20, 2014, 11:19:31 am »
Haven't been able to hunt with my wife much since she was pregnant. She did go with me once at 7 months though. Now that Levi is over 1.5 months we can leave him with my mom and get out a little bit. Some guys do flowers and chocolates. I gave my wife a mess of squirrels and a fun day out in God's country.

We ended up with 5 squirrels, and saw a nice buck, and a few flying squirrels. 2 of the flying squirrels came out of the tree and flew right toward Emily. She freaked out just a little till they turned.

How many of you guys hunt squirrel dogs. I'd love to see pics. post em up.

Offline Marks

Re: Squirrel hunt with my Valentine and our Mt. Curs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:20:48 am »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 11:27:17 am »
Hay Neighbor.
That looks like fun.
I have always still hunted/ stalked squirrels.
It gets difficult this late in the year. 
I think the extra cold weather took a toll on the population this year.

The green collar dog looks to be crossed with some sort of bulldog.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Marks

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:53:06 am »
This is Boone and Lila. I got Boone from the Colbert County Animal Shelter and they claimed he was Mt Cur so your guess is as good as mine. Neither dog has papers but they both tree squirrels so I think he is at least part Mt Cur. Everyone that sees him says he has bulldog in him and he may do it. Probably does. He is my best friend though and a real good dog.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:10:51 pm »
Marks. That is the best valentines gift I have ever heard of, even better that she liked it, my wife prob would have shot me,,lol (congrats on the new baby). Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »
Im jealous. Of your wife's willingness and your weather!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 12:31:30 pm »
 8) What is that a fowling gun? dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 12:52:58 pm »
I am insanely jealous.  Looks like you got the whole world on a string, buddy.  Good for you for recognizing it, too!

It is obvious both of those hounds are purebred dogs.  I do not see any cat, coon, possum, carp, deer, or other blood in them....yup, pure dog.  Little of this dog, little of that dog, but all dog!  Best kind ever!  My old mixed breed (mostly sheltie, my guess) was an excellent squirrel dog.  She'd tree all day long and follow that squirrel around the trunk no matter what they did.  Pity they were only little chickaree squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) that weigh only a wet fart heavier than a chipmunk! Still, I'd treat her to a couple days every fall of nothing but treeing squirrels and getting treats for doing it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wildman

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 10:09:18 pm »
I have two also one is cur feist cross. They are young,but are really coming on as tree dogs.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 01:36:58 pm »
Very COOL Mark!
I like the family affair, way you hunt.
I never hunted squirrels with a dog but sure wish I did. I had a cocker spaniel that when you said "squirrel", he'd run to the nearest tree and start sniffing, I should have hunted that dog.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 11:40:45 pm »
That looks like a lot of fun and a successful outing.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 08:59:01 am »
Dang, that looks like fun. Those are some nice dogs you have there. I would like to get a squirrel dog but up here we have too many porcupines and with a curs prey drive I know what I would have to deal with. I have a bird dog and that's a lot of fun too. So far he has only pointed the porcupines.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 11:17:35 am »
Quillpigs and dogs are not a good mix....generally.  I had a dog that would charm them, though.  She'd lay down in front of them and whine until they lifted their heads.  She'd then belly crawl at a snail's pace until she and the porkie were nose to nose sniffing each other.  She'd get up and leave only after saying hello.  Dog never got a quill in 6 encounters!

I could just wish she didn't have such warm feelings towards roadkill, poor girl could not control herself around stinky carcasses!

A houndsman will tell you it is harder to come by a good wife than a good dog.  Looks like you got both!  I call no fair!   ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:41:15 am »
Very cool,the dogs look a lot like my Sadie,she was Mt. Cur,they will hunt about anything and very loving to people, not so loving to varmints or game animals.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline wildman

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 11:20:35 pm »
Couple of pictures of my lil girls. They are 8 and 9 months old and treeing fools as well as great family dogs!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-