Author Topic: Slow motion videos of primitive archery  (Read 14138 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: Slow motion videos of primitive archery
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 09:43:32 am »
AWESOME!!! Thanks for posting and doing all the hard work for us Tuomo ;)

I may be stating the obvious, but per the out of tiller vs good tiller vids and the limb timing myth, did anyone else notice that the out of tiller bow actually rotates during the loosing of the arrow??  There's actually quite a bit of it when you compare to a well-tillered bow in the other vids.  Not sure I see how that could cause the hand shock, but it may be it. 

Offline DQ

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 03:44:54 pm »
Wow! Lots to think about.  This is hurting my head  :-\.  Thanks for the post.

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 03:52:47 pm »
K-hat - you are absolutely right! See this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pYVmrWzTP8 Same bow but tiller is much more unbalanced, plus there is 1500 grain weight in upper limb. The bow is rotating.

Hand shock is purely the residual energy, "waste" energy of bow limbs. Efficiency of the bow is depending quite many variable - limb mass, tip mass, etc. You can see how the bow is jumping forward.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 04:11:44 pm »
How about a vid like the one where you let the bow fly forward, but with at arrow instead of dry fire.  I'd love to see the comparison w/ arrow vs w/o.  I know, easy to make the request lol

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 05:28:34 pm »
Another request :)  ... Would love to see comparison of long and short arrow paradox.  Short arrow being proper spine and cut to archers draw length.  Long arrow being a 3-4" longer than draw length but also with proper spine, so stiffer than short arrow.   

Great work.  I am still not sure which looks better for limbs the dacron or fast flight.   ???
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 06:00:36 pm »
Same thing happens when you let the bow go with an arrow.  I was experimenting with a loose grip - a bit too loose.  Bow flew about 5 yards from me and stuck perfectly upright in the mud.  Was a little bit hilarious. It might fly a bit further on the dry fire.

Offline dirthas

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2014, 07:50:27 pm »
I have been looking for this kind of stuff for a while. This is perfect! I just browsed your channel for about 5 minutes and have already learned a ton. I feel like this will greatly advance bow-building knowledge. Also seeing that arrow pass through that plum was pretty sweet!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 11:14:07 pm »
thanks for the serendipitous experiment Bubbles!  That's what i figured, i was curious as to how much energy difference there was w/ vs w/o arrow.  I would have expected a bigger difference, however.   ???

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 12:44:27 am »
Yeah, I was surprised by how far it went. Maybe its a sign that my now isn't very efficient. :(     

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 04:02:14 pm »
There is some new slow motion videos in my channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmVczwYUfq6sQQjCmKd2q5Q

Limb vibrations with different weight arrow, unbalanced tiller, etc. Just old stock, I had now time to upload those in Youtube. Now I don't have camera until April, and no new videos waiting. But I have ideas what I want to film and see, when I will hopefully get the camera again!

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 06:41:36 am »
I have loaded the last 29 videos on Youtube. A lot of flying arrow and a few flying bows too...

If you have any questions, please ask!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 07:48:02 am »
Thanks !!!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2014, 10:43:39 am »
Great, now I need to purchase a high speed camera to see if my arrows are tuned properly.