Author Topic: Slow motion videos of primitive archery  (Read 14137 times)

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
Slow motion videos of primitive archery
« on: February 20, 2014, 04:30:42 am »
Hi! My name is Tuomo and I am from Finland. I have been making wooden bows over 15 years. My first “real” bow was ash flat bow, about 30# @ 26”. Since then I have hooked to primitive archery and I think I am using almost all of my free time to this “hobby”. I have made a lot of bows, selfbows and laminated bowsand arrows and so on.

My current big project is that I am writing the first comprehensive handbook of primitive archery in Finnish language. There will be about 400-500 pages and a lot of colour photos. It will be a book for beginners but also a book for advanced bowyers. I have started the project three years ago and there is still at least one year to go. Thera are very much different kind of things I have to clarify and examine. Many have helped me, including members of this forum.

The most exciting thing is that I have got real high speed cameras for use (Phantom Miro LC320S and Citius Imaging Centurio C100)! So, I have filmed many mysterious things, for example achers’s paradox, exploding self bow, etc. Videos are here:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmVczwYUfq6sQQjCmKd2q5Q

Enjoy!

If you have questions, please ask. If you have interesting ideas you would like to see in slow motion, please suggest!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Slow motion videos of primitive archery
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:16:02 am »
Excellent, thanks for sharing :)
I see you have one exploding on the tiller too! >:D
Hope it's ok, I've posted a link to your videos on Archery Interchange UK as it is so interesting.
Just seen the 'tiller off' video, brilliant, I think it shows how the bow doesn't care, it balances itself out pretty much. Maybe other people will interpret it differently.
I can see some great discussion coming from this thread.
It would be interesting to see a more extreme nocking point too high and too low maybe.
Again, thanks for posting.
I appreciate the time, work and expense of these videos.
Del
PS WHAAAAAAA :o I've just seen the dry loose slo mo. Superb... a must see!
This has to be post of year!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:42:46 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:29:54 am »
  Thanks Tuomo, I have been hoping for slow motion vidios of primitive bow limbs for a long time. A little faster frame speed might be better but yours are still good to watch. I like the 3 at the bottom with the dry fire, 1000 grains and 350 grains. It does seem to dispel the arguement of limb timing.

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 06:56:22 am »
Thank! Yes, it is ok to deliver the link.

Badger - frame rate could be higher but then resolution would be lower. I like more resolution is better because then you can see all the phenomenon more clearly. Then, one problem is light - you need every light possible, and more. For example, the apple video, there were about 4 kilowats of halogen lights directed to the apple, barely enough. And then, those Youtube-videos are quite bad quality, they are compressed to about one percent of original size.

I have filmed thumb ring release but I have to edit and upload them to Youtube, so please wait. What I can tell is, that bow hand motion is NOT the solution. Bow hand is moving but after the arrow has passed riser of the bow.

One project is filming and calculating the acceleration of the arrow (and dynamic "draw" force curve). It will be interesting to know, how different weigth arrows are accelerating.

Here is mandarin shot with judo point, useless but fun...

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:02:15 am »
This is way cool !
Thanks
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 08:14:10 am »
Very cool!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:27:28 am »
Very interesting videos Tuomo, thanks for posting these.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:29:54 am »
Thanks for posting the  videos ,Tuomo! Very informative and fun to watch.

Is there a reason your arrows are nocked backwards to convention, with the cock feather facing the bow?

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:31 am »
Lostarrow - yes, I like to nock cock feather in. One reason is these videos. As you can see, arrow clears the handle very well. When the cock feather is out (as it "should" be), there is possibility that hen feather is touching my bow hand. Arrow nocking point should be as low as possible and it can be lower, when cock feather is in.

As a matter of fact, the significance of this is very minor. Just one subject matter about to talk in competitions or shooting events!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:49:23 am »
Awesome videos Tuomo.
At 65 years old, all I do these days is slow motion archery. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 10:20:50 am »
Those videos really are great.

I particularly like the videos demonstrating the difference in arrow making it past the bow at different brace heights. There was a significant difference between 12 cm and 16 cm.

Patrick

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 12:53:52 pm »
Great to see the "out of tiller" video - how was the handshock from that bow?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 01:19:13 pm »
The behavior of the bow limbs is something we have not fully understood without the high speed photography.  Thanks for posting the two videos of shooting a heavy arrow and a light arrow.  The bucking limbs on that light arrow really show what happens when that stored energy is released. 

I would really like to see the difference in limb behavior between FastFlite string and normal Dacron like B50 when shooting a light weight arrow.  Recently there was some discussion about whether FF or Dacron would be easier on the limbs due to the difference in stretch.  My theory was that the stretch of Dacron would dampen the limbs, but the other side of the coin was argued that the FF would not allow the limbs to "buck".  Maybe a pair of videos on just this subject would set this to rest?

Thanks for posting on here.  Your contributions to our art and craft is much appreciated.  Good luck with your book, if I read Finnish, I would certainly pre-order one right now!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 03:37:49 pm »
Those videos are great , thanks and hope to see more.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 03:46:07 pm »
ooh cool stuff!  I subbed.  I would like to see different types of grips.  I noticed that the thumb ring and the three finger caused the string to jump to the side when released.  What about pinch grips?  Some NA style grips?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!