Author Topic: Stiff handle and sinew  (Read 5657 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Stiff handle and sinew
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 12:14:37 pm »
I've sinewed plenty o stiff handle static recurves in the 60" to 62" range.  I prefer to go across the handle even when it's only 1 course same with the tips.  As PD says I would put in at least 5" of reflex, do it before you apply the sinew.  Apply the sinew so that the bulk of it is down the center of the limb  and use at last 3 courses.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Don Case

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 01:20:03 pm »
Would you define a "course". Is it a complete layer of sinew? Is it one row of bundles?
Thanks
Don

Offline DuBois

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 03:36:05 pm »
In this context I am thinking it means a complete layer, but not sure what anyone else means exactly.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 04:29:51 pm »
A course is a complete layer. 

I call the method of sinew backing I use an intelligent use of sinew with the last course acting almost like a sinew cord down the center of the limb.  I've made short stiff handle recurves of around 60" long with over 30" of draw using my method and they still retained some reflex

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Don Case

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »
Thanks, maybe one day I'll be able to answer questions instead of just asking.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 05:43:15 pm »
So Marc,
do you completely cover the back in the first course and then progressively narrow the courses until the last is the "cord down the middle"?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 06:06:26 pm »
Yes that is how I do it.  Also the outer parts of the limbs that don't work, such as the tips, only get 1 course

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Don Case

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 06:31:34 pm »
Yes that is how I do it.  Also the outer parts of the limbs that don't work, such as the tips, only get 1 course

Do you do the single layer first or last? I'm thinking last so it holds everything down.
Questions questions

Offline DuBois

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 08:39:53 pm »
The other way Don.
Entire back covered in first layer then a little narrower, then a little narrower again until it is just a strip down the center. sinew binds to itself real good without glue and even better with it.

mikekeswick

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 04:07:06 am »
The reasoning behind stacking your sinew is that the highest section down the center gets strained more than if you had a flat back. Mainly because sinew can stretch to about 85 elongation and wood a whole lot less. Sinew/glue is about 1.3sg so its heavy stuff...no good putting heavy stuff on the limbs if you don't make the absolute most of it. That's why they advised you to go for a lot of reflex before sinewing.
I think it's definately worth sinewing a 62 inch bow. One of my best recurves is 64 ntn, sinew backed osage - 63#@28 and it does 185fps with 9 grains per lb and that's in the near constant high humidity here. When I hear it's not worth sinewing bows over 50 inch or whatever I always wish I could hand them that bow..... ;) ;)

Offline DuBois

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 10:07:15 pm »
So I'm still debating the sinew. This is not a recurve but it does have 3" reflex and I could pull it into about 5" when sinewed. Would this utilize the sinew enough to be worthwhile?

62" long with 9" stiff handle  ;)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 11:32:38 pm »
Hell Yes!  even with just my limited experience...................I've use sinew on a static where the static part was not sinew and it was well worth it.  I'll post it later when it its skinned, it is very dry/cured/stable after about 500 shots. and still holds some reflex.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 03:12:57 pm »
Im tillering a 62" stiff handled sinew backed bow this weekend doobs, Ill let you know how GREAT it works!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 03:43:20 pm »
Alright fellas, I think I will just do it  ;D  >:D

Offline berzerk64

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 03:44:30 pm »
When in doubt, glue on deer parts.