Author Topic: Tree ID please  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tree ID please
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 12:04:55 am »
If it is serviceberry it will be one of the first to flower in the spring with small, star shaped white flowers.  The fruit is edible.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 12:22:21 am »
Cool I will get the photos and remember that.  Regardless what it is I will take a few staves.  They are just too strait and tempting.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 12:22:34 am »
Looks like chokecherry to me.

Patrick

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 12:24:54 am »
I thought it might be that too Patrick.  We have native choke cherry hear too this is a little different.  I will get to the bottom of this tree though  ::)

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 12:29:43 am »
Matt, my first impression was a sweet cherry that we have here around Appalachia  but the leaves looked different to me.  Sweet cherry has been cultivated in your area but I'm sure the serrations and veins don't match, but close, so I looked in one of my forestry books and I'm somewhat confident you have a sour cherry there.  While not native, they were cultivated  in your area, especially alongside roads and the drawing in the book looked very similar.  If it's not a cherry of some sort it may be in the plum family.  They can look similar.  Ohio Matt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 12:31:32 am »
Looks like some arrow shoots in there too. Take a 3/8" open end wrench and a pair of hand pruners with you when you go.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 12:38:44 am »
Thanks Matt it's always a pleasure to meet another one.  I am curious to take a closer look when in bloom.  Going to ask some old timers and see if they know. 

Pat,  you read my mind. 

Offline DavidV

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 12:50:51 am »
It definitely looks like cherry or plum to me so if you have a tree ID book or better yet dichotomous key look at prunus spp.

Can't think of a prunus species that won't make a bow.
Springfield, MO

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:53 am »
Is there a chance you could snag one of the smaller pieces, say 2" or so and make a fresh clean cut on it so we can see the wood on the end?  I'm kind of a wood freak since I'm a log buyer and forester.  If I don't know what it is, I want to find out!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:26 am »
Most definitely I will get some to morrow.  Are you saying two inches in diameter?

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 01:06:22 am »
Sour cherry as defined by The Audubon Society Field Guide to N A Trees
Small, introduced fruit tree or thicket forming shrub.  Broad round crown, spreading and drooping branches with sour cherries.
Height- 30
Leaves -2-3 1/2"
Bark- gray, scaly, hairless
Flowers- 1" wide with 5 rounded white petals
Fruit- edible soft juicy sour 5/8-3/4"
Habitat- along roadsides, fences and borders of woods
Range- naturalized in se Canada and NW.

Also known as pie cherry

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 01:08:46 am »
Yeah Matt, something 2" or so should show us the heartwood color and sapwood.  That should be a clue at least.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 01:13:23 am »
Will do.  It being valentines day tomorrow it will have to wait till Saturday.  I will however get the pics of the ends tomorrow.  This tree is at the end of my road.  I live in really rural south eastern Idaho.  This tree is very old to my knowledge.  In the meantime I will try to find out more.

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 01:23:21 am »
Oh heck, it's valentines day here I guess.  Better run down to the gas station and pick up a classy silk rose for the wife!  Get some good pics of the fresh cut heartwood and maybe some close ups showing the growth rings. 

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 01:24:37 am »
Ha will do.