Author Topic: Any Guitarists?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline DavidV

Any Guitarists?
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:49:10 pm »
I was messing around with scrap wood and made these...

They flex about as much as an extra heavy. I probably could have gone thinner but didn't know how durable they would be (So far they're holding up great!)

The osage has a really bright tone but still more "natural" sound than plastic.
Persimmon is warmer than osage. closely followed by walnut.
Cedar is very warm but because it's so brittle I left it thicker than the rest.
Maple is warmer than cedar to the point of being almost muted. Very unique sounding
Springfield, MO

Offline paoliguy

Re: Any Guitarists?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 01:52:12 pm »
Those are really nice. I have a couple made from polished stone that have a nice feel and unique sound but kind of glassy. I bet that wood does make a warm sound.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:00:45 pm »
im a bass player so i pick my nose with my picks...but those are pretty nice!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:02:47 pm »
Nice work. Have you tried them with a Mandolin??
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 02:22:43 pm »
I'm just a beginner so I've only used them on my accoustic. My father and sister are the true musicians in the family. They're a birthday gift to her along with a uke kit I'm finishing.
Springfield, MO

Offline WillS

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 02:30:27 pm »
I was thinking of making some English yew picks from offcuts a while ago, but I've given up on using picks now! I prefer the Mark Knopfler sound of flatpicking everything.  Once I work out a way of sweep picking with my nails I'll never a pick again! Heaven.

Yours are beautiful, I bet they would sound sensational on a nice Taylor or Martin.  Well done!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 03:20:46 pm »
where'd you get your uke kit from?

You ever hear of the flea bitten dogs? They are MO boys. Tommy and David are a couple of my buddies from the Ukulele World Congress.

Check um out if you've never heard of them.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline DavidV

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 03:35:33 pm »
The kit is from Grizzly, which has a showroom in town. Nothing special and not very challenging but it's a start. I'm looking to upgrade the strings and tuners so if you have any suggestions I'll hearm them.

I'll check em out. Very MO sounding name :)
Springfield, MO

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 12:58:27 pm »
They make bandsaws AND ukulele kits? What a diverse company. >:D >:D

Offline Jacob Parnell

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 01:27:58 pm »
Very cool.  I made one with ipe, but i didnt seal it, which i should.
.   (
     \
      )
-)))-------->
      )
     /
    (

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 10:58:41 pm »
I play, but I play classical with my nails. Very cool though. I've made saddles out of osage before, didn't work super well, but it wasn't horrible.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 12:25:39 am »
Ive been playing guitar for about 6 years I've never taken any lessons or been taught by anyone other then myself heck idk even know how I know some stuff I know lol but I have two picks I made, one from Osage and one from agentine lignum vitae.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 01:05:38 am by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline WillS

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 11:45:44 am »
I play, but I play classical with my nails. Very cool though. I've made saddles out of osage before, didn't work super well, but it wasn't horrible.

Did you go from metal/rock into classical?  That's the route I took.  I got bored shredding along to Dream Theater and realised that classical/folk was so much harder!

That being said, listening to Periphery while working on bows is starting to tempt me back to the dark side...

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 05:49:22 pm »

Did you go from metal/rock into classical?  That's the route I took.  I got bored shredding along to Dream Theater and realised that classical/folk was so much harder!

That being said, listening to Periphery while working on bows is starting to tempt me back to the dark side...

lol, yup. It's weird going back and forth now, I used to pick with my thumb, now I try to play some pentatonic this or that and I do it with my fingers apoyando/classical style, which is weird, and people that don't know what a classical rest stroke is think I used to play bass (which I can't play worth crap with my tiny little fingers!  ;D )
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 09:30:56 pm »

Those are nice.  I have taken Tommy Emanuel's advice and tossed my thin picks,(actually he said tio burn them.) and gone to a heavy pick.  I do some finger picking, also.  I like classical music, but can't do the crazy chords. ;) :(  If you want to hear some amazing uke, and four string playing, google "Taimane Gardener", and your jaw will drop.  She is quite the show woman.  She is all over the stage, but she makes it look so effortless, and she is going like a bat out of hell, up and down the neck, and she is having a ball.  I also like Hawaiian Slack Key guitar, and the South American style of guitar music, as well a Flamenco, and blues, and bluegrass, as well as the old acid music, of the sixties. 8)

Wayne