Author Topic: Renaissance Style English Longbow, Hickory backed Yew.  (Read 8744 times)

Offline mikaluger (Mick Kay)

Renaissance Style English Longbow, Hickory backed Yew.
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:53:51 am »
This is my take on Renaissance style D section english longbow.
Hickory backed Pacific Yew with a bamboo core. 69" NtN, 50lb @ 28". Sambar nocks and arrow rest.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 05:52:39 pm by mikaluger (Mick Kay) »

Re: Renaissance Style English Longbow, Hickory backed Yew.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:57:06 am »
and more....

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:00:22 am »
Interesting... not sure I'd call it that,but its your bow n can call it what ya want ;)  :laugh:

Next time use a splice to join your yew core/billets....that'll prob hold due to the handle overlays n underlays,but it kinda makes me nervous a wee bit...

Should be a smooth pulling accurate shooter tho ;) ...and that's the goal we aim for :)

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:29:00 am »
Looks nicely made.  I'm intrigued - have you got any images of what you based it on?  Doesn't look like any longbow I've ever seen before! (and I'm English ;) )

Renaissance being 14th to 17thC, longbows still looked like... Longbows during that time I believe?  Not that it takes anything away from your bow - it's beautiful!  I like the shape of the nocks - they look a lot like the one found on the MR.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:41:42 am »
Nice work.  I like those tips a lot.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:00 am »
It was apparently the Italians who used what is typically described as this style of bow. Generally it would be described as a long, slightly set back handle bow with very small recurves.
 Chris Boyton makes them in this style with laminations.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 10:44:54 am »
nice bow looks a little like a molly to me
I like free stuff.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:21:51 am »
Like others have been saying, i'm not sure that I would call this an english longbow.

It has a drawn profile like that of a mollegabet but a cross section like that of an English longbow. It's neat looking, and looks well built. How does it shoot?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 01:12:14 pm »
Nice bow, but not what I'd call an English longbow old chap ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:13:03 pm »
Whatever the thing is, it's still cool.  :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline SuperCracker

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:27:10 pm »
Aren't there somewhat deflexed longbows depicted in some surviving contemporary depictions of bows in the middle ages? I can't remember right off hand where I saw them but I know I have. I'll look it up later on at home where my books are. Also, didn't Ascham make a reference to "Having the tips brought round" on a bow once it's shot in? 

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 02:42:39 pm »
The thought was that the Crusades influenced longbow design when Sarcacen Archery became known to Europeans. The composite design with retrograde tips and a setback handle would have been a fairly obvious design element that could be added without complicating construction.
 If you ever try to make a longbow and add these features the benefit will become immediately apparent.

SuperCracker, I wouldn't put TOO much stock in illustrations. Ascham's recommendation is a reference to whipping the tips slightly,
not the same thing as adding recurves that are rounded in the opposite direction.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 05:36:29 pm »
Hi Fella's,

I have a book somewhere, with a plate depicting an English archer from this period using a bow with slightly curved limbs (more at the tips I think) and a rigid handle. This is what I based this bow on. Just a picture. From memory as I cant find the affending mentioned picture....
Im not a historian or renactor, just a carpenter with an interest in making bows and trying different things that come to mind. ;)

It was going to be an ELB, but as the handle is spliced, I could not tiller the bow trough the handle. Hence the rigid riser. I wanted  to have a D section bow as I have never made a D section bow from Yew before, but I wanted some speed so I decided to add some reflex 8 inches from the tips.

In hindsight you are correct, it is NOT and english long bow. I should know, my parents were english and I have made a number of ELB's and warbows.
It is an Australians, beer induced, retrospective thought based, materials I had at hand, impulse built, longbow thingy!!!!!..........but that description wont fit in the title box. :)I apologise for the bum steer.

What type of bow is this then? I am interested to see some comments on this.

Buy the way, the above longbow thingy is a cracker to shoot. It picks up the weight very early and is glossy smooth. The yew is a factor here I think, that and the length. Arrow speed is fantastic.

Mick.

Ps
Below is one of my elb's. Hickory backed red oak. 70" ntn, 55lb at 28"

Offline WillS

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 05:55:59 pm »
Very nice. 

If it's any help, you can actually tiller a spliced bow full compass.  Joe Gibbs has made 160# yew bows bending fully through the handle despite a z-splice in the middle.  There's something new to try eh? ;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 06:42:15 pm »
I like the Elm ELB  ;D nice.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.