Author Topic: Hickory versus Maple Backing  (Read 9470 times)

Offline adb

Re: Hickory versus Maple Backing
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 10:33:07 am »
You should vary thickness for the belly wood used. I generally use between 3/16 to 1/8. Thinner for weaker compression prone woods. Can't wait to get a drum sander!

VMB

I vary the thickness according to the draw weight I am going for and not the compression strength of the wood.

+1, and no, I don't change the thickness once I've decided what I want.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:36:20 am by adb »

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:56 am »
You should vary thickness for the belly wood used. I generally use between 3/16 to 1/8. Thinner for weaker compression prone woods. Can't wait to get a drum sander!

VMB

I vary the thickness according to the draw weight I am going for and not the compression strength of the wood.

+1, and no, I don't change the thickness once I've decided what I want.

So what thickness would you typically put on  a 70#  maple backed Ipe longbow Vs. a 50#Hickory backed  Red oak with stiff tips and riser?

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 10:56:52 am »
  I use all kinds of backing, hickory, white oak, maple, ash, red oak, elm if I happen to find a piece. I make everything about 1/8". I have had both success and failure with all of them so really have no solid opinion. I do tend to stay away from hickory and cherry bows but this year I had a couple of hckory backed cherries come out great. So no opinions here.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 11:16:40 am »
I use 1/8" backings for most everything up to 70# then move up to 3/16" backings till I hit 100# then it's 1/4" thick backings
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 12:04:18 pm »
I'm close to Marc, only 1/16" thicker on all accounts. I like to start a bit thicker, because I like to really trap and round the backing.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 02:49:27 pm »
You should very thickness for the belly wood used. I generally use between 3/16 to 1/8. Thinner for weaker compression prone woods. Can't wait to get a drum sander!

VMB

I'm not following you.   ???

On light woods like Eastern red cedar, Cascara, cherry, I tiller the backing as well as the belly...tapering it. Choice, just the way I pefer to do it.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 02:58:02 pm »
  I use all kinds of backing, hickory, white oak, maple, ash, red oak, elm if I happen to find a piece. I make everything about 1/8". I have had both success and failure with all of them so really have no solid opinion. I do tend to stay away from hickory and cherry bows but this year I had a couple of hckory backed cherries come out great. So no opinions here.

Try tapering the back Steve, see what you think. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.