Author Topic: First bow: a problem with the back  (Read 4108 times)

Offline jojo

First bow: a problem with the back
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:41:56 pm »
Hey all,

This is my first real attempt at making a bow. It's a hickory board bow, 66" pyramid bow 1 3/4" at fades. Going for 50-55# @ 26".

Here's the problem. I was roughing out the shape with a rasp and a deep splinter lifted cutting its way into the back of the bow at mid limb. Is there an easy fix for this or do I need to start over? I'm afraid the limb will break at that point if its not properly addressed. What are my options?

-jojo-

Offline Slackbunny

Re: First bow: a problem with the back
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:04:41 pm »
Looks like you probably have enough meat left on the other side to just remove the damaged area. You might need to narrow the whole thing though, and you should adjust your expectations for draw weight accordingly. Judging from what I can see, I think I would narrow the limbs until that splinter is gone and continue on.

Also maybe you should consider backing it with linen or rawhide or silk.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »
I don't think I would narrow a hickory,  I think if it was mine, looking from here, I would super glue it down, trap the back a little and it will likely disappear .  If your not familiar with trapping the back, do a search,  if nothing shows up, give a shout and i'll try to explain............ good luck I like hickory.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:23 pm »
Looks like you have some pretty bad grain run off right where that splinter lifted.  In fact it lifted perfectly along where the grain goes funky and swirls about. 

That's exactly the kind of thing all the build alongs and books and experts say to look out for and avoid - I don't know enough about board bows to offer any help on where to go now, but common sense would suggest that in that area you might be asking a lot for the bow not to fail without some substantial backing.  Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about should be able to help though!

Good luck, either way!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 08:15:10 pm »
Round all your edges. I'd put a bit of super glue in the splinter before rounding there.
 I try to keep all the edges rounded on any bow while I'm making it. Its easy enough to do with a few swipes of a scraper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:15:48 pm »
If you trap the back it will likely dissapear.I like to use 120 grit plumbers sand cloth for rounding off all the sharp edges.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 08:40:22 pm »
I still think you can recover this one.  But you will have to do like  bushbow, PatB, and Danzn Bar are telling you. 

1) soak that spot in super glue.  And don't use the cheap-o stuff in the tiny tubes. Go tothe hardware store or to a hobby store and buy the larger bottle. You might want to look for the superthin penetrating stuff.
2) Once the glue has set up, "trap" the back.  Basically, you are narrowing the back of the bow and leaving the belly at the same width.  Not a lot of material needs to be removed, even less than one eight of an inch on each side will really do a lot of good.
3) Round over all the edges of the limb.  Rounded edges will help distribute the stresses around the edge, instead of focusing it on a sharp corner. 

Glad you caught this now instead of yor first time at full draw!

Now, go lick 'em!  Post pics of progress as always.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:50:46 pm »
Thanks JW...... I couldn't of explained it better,  I'm better at hands on showing than a verbal explanation.   :)
DBar

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 08:50:53 pm »
Looks like you got a lot of grain runoff
I like osage

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 08:51:39 pm »
Been there done that multiple times, i make allot of hickory board bows..do as patb said and round the edges, its no biggy.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 08:52:56 pm »
Thanks JW...... I couldn't of explained it better,  I'm better at hands on showing than a verbal explanation.   :)
DBar

Just distilled what had already been explained.

Joec123able, I have seen much worse on hickory board bows I have built.  I still think this one has a better than even chance of making it to hunting season this coming fall.

Offline jojo

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 08:53:42 pm »
Looks like you have some pretty bad grain run off right where that splinter lifted.  In fact it lifted perfectly along where the grain goes funky and swirls about. 

That's exactly the kind of thing all the build alongs and books and experts say to look out for and avoid - I don't know enough about board bows to offer any help on where to go now, but common sense would suggest that in that area you might be asking a lot for the bow not to fail without some substantial backing.  Somebody who actually knows what they're talking about should be able to help though!

Good luck, either way!

There is a little swirl in that spot. I followed a straight grain line from ntn. In fact the pencil line in the middle runs right over top of that natural grain line, so from what I read it should be laid out right but not entirely sure.

I still think you can recover this one.  But you will have to do like  bushbow, PatB, and Danzn Bar are telling you. 

1) soak that spot in super glue.  And don't use the cheap-o stuff in the tiny tubes. Go tothe hardware store or to a hobby store and buy the larger bottle. You might want to look for the superthin penetrating stuff.
2) Once the glue has set up, "trap" the back.  Basically, you are narrowing the back of the bow and leaving the belly at the same width.  Not a lot of material needs to be removed, even less than one eight of an inch on each side will really do a lot of good.
3) Round over all the edges of the limb.  Rounded edges will help distribute the stresses around the edge, instead of focusing it on a sharp corner. 

Glad you caught this now instead of yor first time at full draw!

Now, go lick 'em!  Post pics of progress as always.

Do you know of a goo brand of superglue for this job?
-jojo-

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 08:54:41 pm »
There's nothing wrong with the gain, looks great to me.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 08:57:54 pm »
The stuff they sell in hobby shops is plenty good. My local hobby shop has some manufacturer throw the shop's label on the bottles, so I have no idea who makes it.  But I can get it in the regular, super thin (will penetrate tightly threaded nuts on a bolt and seize them up tight! Don't ask. ), and one so thick you almost have to slice it to get it out of the bottle! 

They also sell an accelerator for it, but you cannot use the accelerator on the superthin stuff.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:00:31 pm »
I would just use Loctite Professional, you can get it at walmart or any lowes, home depot etc...
DBar