Author Topic: 2nd Norse style flint striker  (Read 2130 times)

Offline stickbender

2nd Norse style flint striker
« on: February 03, 2014, 02:37:59 pm »
      Well last week, I opened my laptop, and went to the Primitive Skills site, and saw I had MSG. .  So I opened my message, and almost fell out of my chair!  Ken Halverson was offering to send me the Norse Dragon Striker!! :o :o  He asked me for my home address, so he could send it to me!  The rest of my day went quite well after reading that.  In fact I went back and read it again, just to make sure. ;)
Well I got it Saturday afternoon, and let me say it is a very well made little Beauty.  The dragon head is of course in the Norse style, and the eyes, are not just a hole, but a hole within a hole.  In other words, a bit was used to drill only part way through, and then a smaller bit was used to go through the center, and then the other side was then done the same, so they match.  So there is a champfer, and in the middle of that there is a smaller hole.
Very nice way to add a little bit of artistic flair, without having to engrave it.  It gives the eye a sort of realistic look. The mouth of the Dragon, is also well made.  The design of the mouth was well thought out, and it conveys a dragon's mouth, without having to file in a bunch of teeth. It is plain Jane, but not. ;)
It sends a nice little hot shower of sparks, that like to linger, and glow.  So It will definitely set a coal in a tinder bundle, without much effort!    Ken, I really do appreciate it, and I will be keeping my eye open for some rasps, and files for you.  And like I said before, this striker, will go on my log mantle in Montana!  People get the biggest kick of seeing a striker being used.  Shoot, so do I! ;)  His next one will no doubt be the better looking younger sister. ;) ;D  Thanks Ken :)
                                                                                Wayne

Offline Crogacht

Re: 2nd Norse style flint striker
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:12:17 pm »
Nice :D People on here are great.

Offline Japbow

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:06:55 pm »

Hmmm...wouldn't it be nice if...I mean
      your description was eloquent, and all,
      I could ALMOST see it in my mind's eye,
      but, I only have one question....um...

Is your camera broken?

Don't tease us! (Lol!)

Japbow

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:49:56 pm »

Jap Bow, no, my camera isn't  broken, but, the battery needs charging.  Buuuuuut....., there is a picture of it under the title "2nd Norse styled flint striker, that Ken posted, when he first made it.  Just go to the Primitive Skills section, and it is listed there. ;)  Plus, I am not sure I could post a picture correctly here.  My computer, and I are at odds sometimes.
I think it is female. ::)  It's mood changes now and then. :P ::)

Wayne

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:57:19 pm »
I like that dude!  I've been the recipient of his generosity as well. What a guy!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:17:16 pm »

Cool Tim! 8)  What did you get? ???  His Cousin (J.W.) got some really nifty stuff, like a hawk, and knife, and other stuff.  But that is just family favoritism, which is acceptable. ;) ::)  I am really happy with my striker. :) :)  I can't help but go play with it now and then. ;) ;D  I thought he had used a drill, but he said he used a hot punch, to make the eyes.
Very nice of him to go to the trouble to make it and then "give" it away. ;)

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:41:40 pm »
Pseudo-cousin.  More brothers in spirit than anything.  Except being the older, Kevin got all the talent.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Japbow

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:42 am »

Ok, I checked it out...very cool!

I use a modern magnesium fire steel,
      but it'd be awesome to have a more
      trad one. Lucky!

Japbow.