Author Topic: Squirrel Pyramid Bow - Silencers Added  (Read 5524 times)

Offline finefirewood

Squirrel Pyramid Bow - Silencers Added
« on: February 03, 2014, 09:03:48 am »
In the saga of the pyramid bow I built for my brother, I've finally got the handle covered with squirrel fur. It feels amazing in the hand and the fur is very soft. Just need to put the squirrel tail silencers on, and an arrow shelf. Got the tails, just need to sit down and do it. Still undecided what to use for the shelf, but may just use an antler tip. Can't figure anything from a squirrel to use to make the shelf. Any suggestions?

Here are the posts with the rest of the bow. Almost done with the details. It already shoots great, just making it purdier!

Build with FD:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44203.msg596128.html#msg596128

Drawing: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44820.msg605982.html#msg605982

Edit: Added the silencers. They are still "green" so they are drying in place. I didn't split them and wrapped them in full. I shot a few arrows through it and they are very impressive! Hardly a whisper! Not sure on how much is slows the bow down, but they sure look good.

Now for the arrow shelf and plate...
Here are a few pics
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:26:18 pm by finefirewood »
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Squirrel Pyramid Bow - Handle Update
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:42 am »
Looks good,nice drawing. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:38:31 am »
That sure ruined out great.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 12:36:18 pm »
That's awesome looking and a great idea for a winter bow handle. I was thinking you could use the shoulder blade if it's big enough or a piece of squirrel rawhide for the shelf.

Kyle

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 02:29:58 pm »
In the saga of the pyramid bow I built for my brother, I've finally got the handle covered with squirrel fur. It feels amazing in the hand and the fur is very soft. Just need to put the squirrel tail silencers on, and an arrow shelf. Got the tails, just need to sit down and do it. Still undecided what to use for the shelf, but may just use an antler tip. Can't figure anything from a squirrel to use to make the shelf. Any suggestions?

Here are the posts with the rest of the bow. Almost done with the details. It already shoots great, just making it purdier!

Build with FD:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44203.msg596128.html#msg596128

Drawing: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44820.msg605982.html#msg605982
Bones for tip overlays.
squirrel rawhide is extremely thin.
Agian, bone for the arrow plate.
how do you make fur silencers from the tail? I have a couple I would like to do it with.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 02:48:31 pm »
squirrel rawhide rest, just glue and stack till you get the thickness you want
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Wiley

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 03:25:43 pm »
I also like the idea for a squirrel rawhide rest, . If I wanted to make it even more squirrely, I would spiral cut that rawhide to make a squirrel bowstring out of, use the scraps to make the arrow rest.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 03:42:53 pm »
if you don't want to stack it roll a small pc up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 04:07:18 pm »
Carve half an acorn from a piece of wood and glue it on for the shelf..it would be cut down the center showing half the cap and nut...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 04:13:43 pm »
Thanks for the ideas and compliments. I may look at using some of the leftover hide for the rest since I have a bunch of it ready to go.

The inspiration for the squirrel bow was from this thread http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=25248.0

He said he was able to split a single tail to use for both top and bottom silencers, but I'll be darned if I could do it. I tried splitting, but only ended up frustrated. If anyone has an easy way to do that, let me know. I've spun one into the top whole (without splitting) and it looks pretty good. I'll get a pic up soon of that. It doesn't seem too bulky, but I haven't shot with it on yet (waiting until I do the other end).

As for squirrel hide string, I don't think up even going to attempt! It is pretty strong stuff though. I used artificial sinew (I know, booo, hisss!) and was able to really pull it tight without pulling through the lacing holes.

Thanks again to all.

FF

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 04:15:21 pm »
Carve half an acorn from a piece of wood and glue it on for the shelf..it would be cut down the center showing half the cap and nut...

Now that has possibilities!! Great idea. Even if not used for this build, I'll definitely store it in the "to-do" bank.

Thanks!

FF

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 09:17:16 pm »
I made squirrel tail silencers once. I just sliced down one side of tail when skinning and then cut two pieces about 2.5" long and put them on the string while they were still green.
Steve Bennett

Offline finefirewood

Re: Squirrel Pyramid Bow - Silencers Added
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 03:27:33 pm »
Added pics of the silencers in the first post. Almost finished now!

FF