Author Topic: Bhutanese Bamboo Bow?  (Read 29188 times)

Offline backgardenbowyer

Bhutanese Bamboo Bow?
« on: December 20, 2007, 07:45:08 pm »
Has anyone tried to make a traditional Bhutanese bow (two bamboo strips overlapping and bound together at the handle)?  They look simple and fun and ought to be quite fast - but they also look like they could explode in your face if you got it wrong.  The odd thing is that the inside (concave) surface of the bamboo seems to form the back of the bow.

If anyone has tried this I'd be interested to hear how they got on.

There's a couple of images in Hilary Greenland's pics of the World Traditional Archery Festival, but not very detailed.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sptasec/WorldTraditionalArcheryFestivalSKorea?authkey=GqpMAyfkNqI

Offline Jesse

Re: Bhutanese Bamboo Bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:20:51 pm »
Never tried it but those are some great pictures of bows from around the world. I am curious also if anyone here has made one of these bows.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 10:02:19 pm »
  Looks pretty simple.I have tons of boo.I think it looks like a project after the Holidays.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:39:30 am »
I agree, They look like cool bows and simple construction.   Looking at the full draw pics, I think I see the bumps of the nodes on the back of the bow.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 06:39:44 am »
What a cool slide show! Very humbling to see all the different style bows out there...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 07:34:57 am »
Cool pictures ,as to your question  no I haven't,thought about it from time to time just ant got around to it yet. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:30:37 am »
Nice photo album, lots of famous bowyers in those shots.

I was looking at the Bhutanese pics (used the handle photo to figure out which way things go) and it does seem that they orient the bamboo so the rind is on the belly.  I can see how using this orientation would give you a bit of reflex and probably a little stiffer in that direction.  My only thought is that there is an increasing number/density of power fibers towards the outer surface of boo, and I'd personally want those on the back where they do the most good.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:50:06 am »
I remember hearing over on pp that they put a small nail or something through the handle ,to help stop the two pieces from slipping past each other.
here's the thread;
http://paleoplanet69529.dmc7.yuku.com/topic/5038

Ralph

jamie

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 11:03:40 am »
one of the past issues of p.a. has an article im pretty sure deals with the bhutanese bamboo bows. i think that one shot rocks, sorta like a big slingshot

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 04:02:35 pm »
Well, I'm almost out of bamboo at the moment - just thought it might be a bit of a project over the holidays if I get time to call in at the garden centre and pick up a pole and a free afternoon to do some whittling.  If I get chance to make one I'll be sure to post some pics here.

Stan

Offline markinengland

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 07:06:03 pm »
I have a few pics of these bows.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/MarkinEngland/primitive%20bows/bamboobow3.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/MarkinEngland/primitive%20bows/bamboobow2.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a277/MarkinEngland/primitive%20bows/bamboobow1.jpg
I have tried making a basic pne piece bow and now realise why the Butanese make them in two parts. too much tillering to make up for the different thickness at each ends!
The two slats are joined at the handle with a nail to stop themn sliding and bound together. I saw one made by a guy here in england and he was pleased with it. One of these is on my project list.
Mark in England

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 05:02:34 pm »
Wow, thats a cool bow. Looks like it was made form a 3 or 4 inch bamboo pole. Definatly food for thought.

kitetsu

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 12:54:40 am »
Greetings,

I apologize in advance for bumping an extremely old thread, I thought my post would be relevant to the thread.

Just one week ago I have made an attempt in making said Bhutanese bow. However, I am at a disadvantage as there were no tutorials, tips or warnings in building the bow - only this thread, the thread at PaleoPlanet, and a series of youtube videos by johnjayrambo11111 as references. I have followed them as best as they could, and I believed I was at the right track when my first attempt was only half-way. It looked fine and sturdy.

Unfortunately after 10-15 minutes of having the bow strung, the upper limb broke after just 3 pulls. I was very devastated, but I've decided to try and at least take note of what I did wrong. Here are my notes:

- The bamboo stake I used isn't the usual large-diametered bamboo that was used. As johnjayrambo11111 used a bamboo stake that seemed to be no thicker than the size of a bamboo staff/rod, I thought I would follow his version, as his bow was perfectly strung and looks to be of great condition.

- I cut the bamboo lengthways, and did so at the exact middle of the stake. Perhaps this is one part I got wrong, because I've seen that the bamboo was cut more at the edges, but again, I followed johnjayrambo11111's version. His bow's limbs didn't look like it was cut more from the edges judging by the videos he's shown, but maybe it really is. I've been meaning to ask him that, but he seems to be ignoring my other questions to him. Perhaps I shouldn't have pestered him so much since I got overexcited...

- I did not boil the bamboo as to make it more flexible or have done anything to flatten it. I've been told that it is not a requirement, so I followed that.

- There were no pages telling me what string is recommended for use as an alternative to a modern bowstring. Because I had so much input, I bought jute twine, polypropylene string, and a nylon string.

That's about all the notes I've gathered on this attempt. Honestly I am demoralized that my attempt has failed, and I am doutbful I will receive some kind of guidance to help in my next attempt, but I am trying to remain optimistic. If this ultimately fails, I will make an attempt at making a bundle bow.

Cheers.

Far East Archer

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 07:20:16 am »
Having chance to examining and drawing such bow of original form I can say its more complex than it looks.
The Bhutanese have thought very much of the mechanical properties of bamboo and have designed a bow to use these properties to the max. The bamboo is most dense at outer surface as most of you already know, so of course this make the best belly, taking least set. The tips are very fine and narrow and the belly also seems to be heat treated. Im not sure about this, but I heard that this species is not very tall, grows with much more taper so to build a bow of single piece would mean it needs more tiller, like Mark says, so it is made from sister billet to have even thickness taper, much faster to make.

You must know that this is a special mountain bamboo species that only occur in Bhutan. I have seen some other species that may have similar quality, but Bhutan bamboo is indeed perfect species for this bow.Most bamboo has increasingly less dense fiber structure as we get closer to inner wall. This inner density can be as low as .30, this is like willow strength.Very weak and most unsuitable for back of bow. If you have try this design and it fail, it is because of this factor. Most bamboo cannot be made in this way with 100% success, it has maybe 50% success. The Bhutan bamboo however, instead of becoming less dense, the fiber structure decreases in quantity like most bamboo, but increases in thickness, taking up space. So, even the innermost surface is very hard with thick fibers and has much tension strength still. The Bhutanese are able to round the backs of the bow and cut through the nodes without failure, but more often I observe they leave nodes full thickness, just make smooth.

I often wonder if other bamboo may work, but the ones that may work are often thin walled, like tonkin. Maybe some of the timber bamboos that are thick walled may work, but its difficult to say, you need to find one with thick fiber structure at inner walls.......

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 11:14:10 pm »
Don't get discouraged!  We have all been where you are now. You should get lots of info and encouragement here.   
  I don't know much about bamboo for other than bow backings or arrows. Bhutanese bows are very interesting. Simple in form but I guess not in design and material used.
   Their archery tournaments are interesting too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC