Author Topic: Kyudo - whats that?!  (Read 7761 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Kyudo - whats that?!
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:00:41 pm »
Morning all -

Whilst I was watching the postings of Primitive Tim I saw in the side board a video for Kyudo - Japanese Zen Archery with the offset long bow. If you have not seen it you may want to check it out.

JW, JapBow - If either of you shared this before how'd I miss it?

Ben

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Kyudo - whats that?!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:55:43 pm »
thanks for watching!

I don't think I could kyudo.  They take FOREVER to shoot! lol  I watched this video.  My white man mentality couldn't deal with it.  I just want to shoot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE4J4XPr8uA
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 11:37:25 pm »
kyudo is the way samurai shot their bows.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:17:48 am »
Its not all about the "Zen"... Not all Japanese archers take that long to shoot, lol.. It is a warbow afterall.. Zen, historically speaking, is a fairly new concept... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Japbow

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 03:47:22 am »

Thanks! Nice video.

I understand the idea of being focused and
      calming your spirit, which I agree should be
      important to any archer... HOWEVER, I think
      I may have been here too long because I have
      come to believe that the obsessive focus on
      detail, and the "correct" way to do things is
      a clear crutch.  The Japanese can become
      mentally impaired by this rigid dogma and are
      often unable to adapt to new situations.
      Archery dojo, yes...workplace, NO THANK YOU!

Spontaneity and improvisation are definitely
     two ideas the Japanese could work on!
     After all, there's more than one way to skin
     a tanuki! (and I know)

Japbow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:05:54 am »
I know some probably do but most folks I have meet that said Zen guided their
arrow didn't shoot very well. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Japbow

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 07:43:21 pm »

Pappy...Lol!

Maybe after 30 years of Kyudo training you
      can hit the target every time and achieve an
      enlightened state of oneness, BUT...

Feel and muscle memory will do for me. If I
      miss,  I just nock another darn arrow!

Japbow

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:14:47 pm »
Like most Japanese martial activities, in Kyudo (say cue-doh) it's not so important you hit the target perfectly, but how you conduct yourself while doing so.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:35:51 pm by adb »

Offline Marks

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:36:25 am »
thanks for watching!

I don't think I could kyudo.  They take FOREVER to shoot! lol  I watched this video.  My white man mentality couldn't deal with it.  I just want to shoot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE4J4XPr8uA

Its worse than a compound shooter right?  haha.
I assumed the really slow stuff was more ceremonial. I don't know how historically accurate it is but that guy on The Last Samurai could sure shoot his bow fast. I love that movie.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:58:02 pm »
Howdy,  I study kyudo, though I occasionally wonder why.  Historically Japanese archery was primarily about accuracy, distance, penetration, and troop maneuver.  Not that much different than English warbows.    I think of the 8 basic steps in shooting a yumi as a Japanese Manual of Arms.   After the Portuguese introduced firearms to Japan there was a conscious effort to maintain archery in a temple/ court setting.  So modern Kyudo is ~ 1/2 martial art and ~ 1/2 etiquette lesson.   The perception that hitting isn't important is false, but in kyudo,  accuracy needs to be proceded by correct action.  And, correct action leading to a hit is considered to show a strong inner spirit!  Developement of proper spirit is also part of other Japanese martial arts like the Aikido I also practice.
The modern Yumi is fickle and the ~ 40 inch draw with a floating anchor is not an easy technique to master.   So............ yes a great number of practitioners can't hit for beans, and may cover up by saying "it isn't important".  But as one of the local Senseis told at a tournament last fall,  "that's bullshit!"
That said I find it an enjoyable pursuit.  The equipment and style is unique and beautiful and the shooting is graceful.  Japanese culture is certainly different than any of the US cultures.  Yes I believe there are some distinct cultures here in the US.  I think I would have great difficulty living in Japan.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:30:39 pm »
Thanks for the explaination Ron.. Reminds me of my Aiki trainig. We had a saying; Right thought=Right action... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

JacksonCash

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 07:07:33 pm »
... accuracy needs to be proceded by correct action.  And, correct action leading to a hit is considered to show a strong inner spirit! ...

That is a very apt statement that a lot of people in my company should take to heart. It was a bad day at work, and now I just want to go bend a stick.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 05:51:45 pm »
Like most Japanese martial activities, in Kyudo (say cue-doh) it's not so important you hit the target perfectly, but how you conduct yourself while doing so.

Kinda like many of us hunt.  It is not about getting the biggest, bestest, fastest, whateverest.  It is about how you conduct yourself on that hunt.

And a big part of that conduct leading up to the actual release of the arrow, is practicing until there is absolute in where the arrow will go.  Not faith, belief without proof or evidence.  But sufficient practice that there is a reasonable assurance of outcome. 

Was this the video of the two young ladies at the college in Hawaii? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 12:02:02 am »
JW, not a bad analogy.    Especially since the more mystic side of Kyudo is based mainly on Shinto ( not Zen/ Budist) practice.   Shinto is heavy on the local spirit (Kami) which seems very naturalistic.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 12:17:14 pm »
yes it was JW - led me to watch  some other vids on the matter.