Author Topic: Puzzled ,how does a 50lb bow become a 78lb bow  (Read 12870 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Puzzled ,how does a 50lb bow become a 78lb bow
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 11:34:56 pm »
Thanks lostarrow.  It was not thick.  It was a stave from a small diameter limb in the half round.  Less than 2 inches thick from memory.  It has to be that the stave has dried out over the last year.  PatM thinks maybe it's seasoned more, and that is possible, but it's only been a year since the bark came off so I don't know.  Seems that it lost moisture and hardened up.  But in no way did it behave like a moisture laden piece of wood.  No drying checks at all, it took little set after hundreds of shots and it has the same reflex now that it had when I put it on the rack, so it did not pull into reflex as a green drying stave will do.  Yet, here we are.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 11:35:13 pm »
Wasn't dry.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 11:55:41 pm »
Dry vs. seasoned.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 05:48:33 am »
Just kidding here...
Confusing Kg and Pounds  >:D
Del
I've never done it  :-[  ::)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 10:31:28 am »
Guys, Tim Baker doesn't post here anymore. It's OK to accept that seasoning and drying are two different things.  ::)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2014, 10:38:10 am »
Ive never had one change that I noticed. Ive used osage 10 months old up to 20 plus years.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 10:40:23 am »
Green vs dry/seasoned is much more important than seasoned vs. dry.....much, much more important in my way of building bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 10:48:36 am »
Del, not it.  Though that answer would seem more plausible than wet v dry, or dry v seasoned.  My pea brain cant reconcile a 30lb increase in roughly 6 months.  I finished the bow and posted on here in June, but then shot it a bunch all summer.  Eye opener for me.  Obviously it's either wet v dry or dry v seasoned and it can make that much difference in that short of time on certain pieces of wood.  Very dense pieces are affected like this according to Patrick.  In thinking back on this piece of wood as I was working on it, it is thin ringed, high crowned and I was particularly taken with it once I started working on it.  It didn't seem to be unusually dense from appearance, but it did perform exceptionally well.  Started with 3 inches of reflex and settled at 2 which it still retains.  The inch it lost is not noticeable as it is spread out along its length, so maybe more dense than I suspected.  I'm gonna take Badgers advice and see what happens today.  Keep you posted.

PatM and Pearl, seasoned v dry are two different things and I recognize that.  Big difference at least as far as Osage is concerned and I suspect other woods as well.  But I think of seasoned as in years to see a noticeable difference not months.  My thinking may change now.
This wood was not wet (green).  Wet wood feels different to me when worked and anybody that has drawknifed the two know what I'm saying.  Dry wood is hard and seems more brittle, wet slices like cheese.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:59:21 am by SLIMBOB »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 11:59:33 am »
Hey Bob, maybe your batteries where failing in them bow scales....;)?

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 12:05:11 pm »
Oh, that's nothing!  I always gain weight around the holidays!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 12:23:30 pm »
Ha! I'd consider any idea at this point.  Dead batteries or too much pumpkin pie.  At first I thought I had just become extremely weak and wimpy and couldn't pull my 50lb bow half way back anymore.  At least it's not that.  I know you PEARL have built a ton of Osage bows and you haven't seen it, nor have I.  Others say they have a time or two.  I want to find some more of this wood!

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2014, 12:43:30 pm »
Guys, Tim Baker doesn't post here anymore. It's OK to accept that seasoning and drying are two different things.  ::)

Curious why Tim Baker doesn't seem to post on this or any other bow making forum any more?

When I moved from NC to the Rockys I had to re-tiller all of my osage bows. The went from mid-50's to high 60's.

Patrick

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2014, 01:07:36 pm »
I think Tim Baker got tired of being jumped on by all the wanna' be experts on the bow building sites. I understand he took a different direction in life and now longer makes bows.

Made an osage bow, well seasoned and dried osage sprout wood, some of my best. The bow went from 65# to 75# in the year after I made it, the guy who bought it shot it a bunch during this time, almost daily. Go figure, this is the only bow I have had  react this way. The wood sat in my shop for years before I made a bow out of it.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2014, 03:27:43 pm »
TOO MANY COOKIES!!  >:D ::) :o [sorry, I can't pass up a chance for a wise crack]

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2014, 04:01:24 pm »

I get my osage from various sources, but mainly from the heartland (Missouri and surrounding states).  I don't use Texas osage any more.

Dang It Mr. Patrick... You have my Undivided Attention Now!!!
Would you tell me why you no longer use Texas Bodark?

Inquiring Minds Gotta Know!

:)

-gus
PS. Sorry for the Hijack... But Dang!!!
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX