Author Topic: trail camera questions  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Blacktail

trail camera questions
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:53:36 pm »
SO,i might be getting a trail camera..what is the best you have used AND how do you keep them from getting stolen..thanks john

Offline osage outlaw

Re: trail camera questions
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:15:39 pm »
I have two, a primos and a moultrie.  The better of the two is definitely the moultrie.  Both mine have a place for a padlock on the camera.  The moultrie also has a  password to control it and an optional locking cable system that costs extra.  I use mine on private land and so far they have been left alone.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:54:20 pm »
I've tried them all. The best camera for me has been the Primos Truth 35 not to be confused with the Truth Ultra 35 which is more expensive and not as reliable. Between me and my hunting buddies we have 9 of these cameras, 0 problems so far, my oldest one is going on 4 years of constant use. Wallyworld has the best price,79.00.  As far as keeping it from getting stolen, I got nothing, I just put them out and keep my fingers crossed.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 12:24:19 am »
I would recommend going with a camera that takes AA batteries.  Everything I've read says that the AA battery cameras have a longer battery life.  Both mine are AA and they last a long time.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:01:48 am »
I recommend getting the cheap ones from wal mart. Tasco? I think.

I used to buy the real nice ones, but! Bears seem to find them very interesting. I've tried my best to hide them including de-scenting them....doesn't matter they always find em and tear them apart.
You don't need a high end camera. IMO.

We both live in good bear country ;)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 03:57:33 am »
I really like my Bushnell and the customer service is un beatable. had a tasco like pine cone is talking best pic quality especially at night but died in the second season :( for protection get a bear box or if you cant find one get hold of me I make my own and there tougher painted to match there surroundings where I hang them so people are less likely to see them. Once you got your camera bought I can build a box for it. Like pine cone pointed out bear enjoy using them for chew toys and deer and elk like to rub their snotty noses all over them. Hey and maybe if I get to build you a bear box I can sucker you in to giving me some tips on sinew backing >:D just say'n
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour