Author Topic: Plum for Pinecone, a camera phone build along  (Read 20064 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Plum for Pinecone, a camera phone build along
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2014, 02:22:54 pm »
My thoughts exaclty

Offline Will H

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2014, 03:02:17 pm »
Lookin real good Gabe! To bad Bryce is making a walking cane instead of a bow for ya, oh well...  :laugh: :o
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2014, 04:08:12 pm »
Good news Gabe! I got started on yours today. But instead of teasing you over the interweb I'll keep it a secret ;) ok maybe one pic.....

-Pinecone:)

Good Lawd!
Are you building a Cane?    >:D

That is an Awesomely Agressive Bend For Sure...
Can't wait to see that one bend.

Best Regards,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2014, 04:31:47 pm »
Hey! When he gets old, he'll thank me  ;D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2014, 06:02:13 pm »
Good lord Bryce.  That hook is giving me performance anxiety.  Domn it, I'll have to throw away this piece of junk and start a new one that takes 3 guys to string.  >:D >:D >:D

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2014, 06:35:26 pm »
No! That plum is absolutely lovely everything and more than I was exspecting!:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2014, 11:46:43 am »
No! That plum is absolutely lovely everything and more than I was exspecting!:)

A fine example of an addict!  >:D >:D >:D He couldnt stand to have you throw away that bow which means you done good  8) 8) 8)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 01:43:20 am »
Well in the last 10 days, I tore the roof off my house and put a new one on.  What a fiasco!  Now I can get back to building this bow.

I got her to the short string. Here's the bow at first brace, keeping the brace height low.

I pulled the bow out to 15" and it seemed a little stiff on the left limb and both outter limbs.

After some scraping the left limb is starting to come around but still a bit stiff.

Here, I noticed that the string alignment was off again. I think this will be a recurring theme with this bow. It's stubborn. It might be difficult to correct since the alignment issues are near the handle, and through the handle, rather then in the mid or outer limbs...

Anyway, back to the dry heat. I suspended a weight (5 gallon bucket full of salt), of the bow tip bringing it about 1/2 inch past my desired limb correction.

Applied a little olive oil to the limb,

And slowly heated the limb, keeping the heat gun 4 to 5 inches away from the bow and trying to avoid darkening the surface too much (especially since I'm near my finished limb thickness and I don't have too much 'gaming' room).

Took about 20 minutes to do the limb, and than I left it with the weight on overnight.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2014, 01:42:28 pm »
Here she is after string alignment.  In this shot the bow is drawn to 52# @ 20 inches. Still a hair stiff on the left, mid limb, but getting close.  Trying to keep the outter limbs a little stiff. I like the profile of this bow.

String follow now, vs before tillering to date.

(pre tillering)

(now -- immediately unstrung)

She's picked up about an inch of set  :(, hopefully it won't effect performance too much.  I haven't done any heat treating to reduce string follow (only to fix string alignment), and I'm trying to keep heat treating to a minimum to preserve the durability of the bark backing... we shall see what happens when the bow gets out to 27".

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2014, 01:58:30 pm »
if you put the heat gun 2''(instead of 4'') from the belly you can get a good shallow heat treating. to a very LIGHT brown, maybe even add a bit of reflex. and the heat shouldnt get deep enough or hot enough to effect the bark :D
that what i did to adjust a funky bit on my most recent plum bow.

looks good bro! i cant tell you how stoked i am!

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2014, 04:56:11 pm »
Yeah I agree Bryce. I was noticing though that even with the 4" distance it was getting pretty warm through the back.  It'll probably be fine, but you never know till you get her to full draw :) And sometimes even after that.  I'm considering heating some reflex back in, but I'm not sure... I like aesthetics and performance of the inner limb deflex, with stiff outer limbs profile... Hope top work on it tonight.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2014, 06:54:05 pm »
Looking real nice Gabe. I'm diggin that r/d profile its taken from the set and thinking that won't effect the performance more than a tiny bit if at all. Probably make it sweeter on release too. Keep at it and keep the pics coming, Pineconers
getting a nice bow there.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:20 pm »
Looking real nice Gabe. I'm diggin that r/d profile its taken from the set and thinking that won't effect the performance more than a tiny bit if at all. Probably make it sweeter on release too. Keep at it and keep the pics coming, Pineconers
getting a nice bow there.

You got that right!!!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 01:23:03 am »
Looking great Gabe.  I'm diggin that profile.  I don't think it's enough set to make a huge difference right now. 

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 01:03:00 pm »
Aaarg, got a little set back.  Checked string alignment this morning... its off center again, I lost about 80% of the correction I heated in... Also a small glue line separation is occurring in the handle inlay...  ???   >:(

Well. In my experience the most finicky staves can make the best bows. I will post pics of the fix process as I go.  Starting to work on it tonight and this weekend.  I might repair the handle first since I think some of the string alignment issues are in the handle area and I want it solid and glued in before I start heat correcting the limb... Sorry about he delays Pinecone... I'm doing my best.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.