Author Topic: Osage Paddle bow?  (Read 4246 times)

Offline bigcountry

Osage Paddle bow?
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:24:21 pm »
I have been looking for yew heartwood, about 52-55" for a pacific bendy handle bow.  But all I have is Osage.  Wonder if osage would make a good pacific bow?
Westminster, MD

Offline Joec123able

Re: Osage Paddle bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:30:27 pm »
Why wouldn't it ? Lol
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 03:03:18 pm »
Osage should work fine. Have you thought of ERC or other junipers? Are you planning to sinew back it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:24:42 pm »
I have tons of back sinew.  Been saving it from every deer I have killed last 4 years for this. 
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 04:28:21 pm »
Osage should work fine. Have you thought of ERC or other junipers? Are you planning to sinew back it?

I have never used ERC before.  I just have a bunch of Osage laying around where one side is out of wack, but if I cut it to 55", it would be nice and straight.  I thought maybe Osage would ended up being too thin (not sure) for a 22-24" draw bow.
Westminster, MD

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:40:10 pm »
Just wondering if you're bent on making a paddle bow or just using the osage. 55" with sinew backing would make a fine bow. As I recall from Jim Hamm's book on native American archery, there was an osage pyramid bow made by an Osage tribesman which was over 2' wide at the fades; that might be another option.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:29:52 pm »
A short wide paddle bow would not excel with osage IMHO. I think it would work better with a lighter more elastic wood like yew or ERC. Osage really shines in a bit longer and narrower recurve, and more with sinew backing.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 09:21:05 am »
Just wondering if you're bent on making a paddle bow or just using the osage. 55" with sinew backing would make a fine bow. As I recall from Jim Hamm's book on native American archery, there was an osage pyramid bow made by an Osage tribesman which was over 2' wide at the fades; that might be another option.

I really want to make a decent replica hupa bow.  I don't hunt with short bows, and when I do hunt, I like to be at my full draw.

I just think these pacific bows are cool looking. 
Westminster, MD

Offline ohma2

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 11:13:46 am »
dont mean to hyjack your thread.heres a osage 2"wide 55" long 47# @27" sinew backed.wasnt meant to be replica, wanted to be able to full draw it.

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 01:31:29 pm »
A 55" pyramid style, narrowed and bendy handle makes a cool bow IMO.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 02:02:38 pm »
  I thought maybe Osage would ended up being too thin (not sure) for a 22-24" draw bow.

What do you mean by this?

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 04:38:07 pm »
I've got a pair of eastern red cedar staves, and might be convinced to trade one of them for your osage if you've got your heart set on a short paddle bow. ERC is very light, elastic wood and would work nicely in a paddle bow design, better than osage I think. Let me know if this is something you're interested in doing.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 12:05:56 am »
Cool little bow you got there omha.

Pat, I just figured Osage is not meant to be real wide and thin.  But I don't know.
Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 12:07:06 am »
I've got a pair of eastern red cedar staves, and might be convinced to trade one of them for your osage if you've got your heart set on a short paddle bow. ERC is very light, elastic wood and would work nicely in a paddle bow design, better than osage I think. Let me know if this is something you're interested in doing.

Maybe Eric.  Where you located?  ERC seems to scare me.  Seems I see lots of breaks on here.  But thats the game I guess.
Westminster, MD

Offline ohma2

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:51:07 pm »
Im not dissputing the idea of cedar but I assure you short wide and thin osage peforms.