Author Topic: Making a Hickory board bow  (Read 10559 times)

kurogane_84

Making a Hickory board bow
« on: January 27, 2014, 05:47:28 pm »
Hello all I am looking to make a bow from hickory lumber, and wanted to ask some advice, i know i have to back it, i have many sources around, my mother is a quilter and i can get some fabric from her, shes saying that muslim or cotton would be best, any one have any ideas?

Here are the idea sketches ive had, I want to make it 1/ 34 at the widest part, and taper to 3/4 at the limb tips, and have it 3/4" thick at the tips, make rectangle tips mostly with some hickory overlays, and have the end of the handle fades 1 3/4 inches thick and the handle 2 inches thick, im goign to make a off the hand shooter, and have it either 60 or 68 inches long, aiming for 45 - 50 @ 28 inches, any advice on that would be great and what backing should i use, i want to stain the wood and have it show thru or if i can make it a back back, but i like the look of the natural wood, im going crazy coming up with ideas, i was thinking of fiber glass, i know not primitive, but i dont know of any clear drying materials, any help?

Offline bubby

Re: Making a Hickory board bow
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 06:18:10 pm »
if the grain is good you don't have to back it, but if you want to back it you can saw 1/4" of the board and flip it endo, this will work as I have done it this way
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »
you can use these dimensions for your bow http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
can I ask why you have to back it?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:21 pm »
Your dimensions sound good but i would go the full 68" and you don't need to back hickory unless you have crazy run offs.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:47 pm »
If you have the right board with good grain I see no need to back it. There's a lot more experienced guys than me that will be along but that's my 2 cents.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 06:22:10 pm »
Go figure it would be you and me bub.

kurogane_84

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 06:47:14 pm »
Thanks guys and the backing is cause the places i can get the boards they are literally crappy, and i asked the larger place if i can get 2 pieces that are 6 inches wide X 4 inches high and 12 foot long and straight grained as i can get it, i mean STRAIGHT, she said im nuts for wanting it straight LOL,  so better be safe than sorry, but if they lookg good ill try a un backed one, and thanks Bub, whats the tool list you have, noticed some there, i have three out of the five, i need to get a half round rasp, and i use a surform blade to shape things fast.

what do you guys think of the handle dimensions im thinking a 9 inch handle block, and tapering it 2.5 inches on either side and then rounding it somewhat and adding some artificial sinew or some caribou leather i have to make the grip on it, ive never put a handle on anything at all, just used it as is LOL, this will be new

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 06:53:33 pm »
You only need 6" for the handle.

Heres a link to another bubby post on handles wraps, its how i learned.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39604.0.html

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:36:17 pm »
I useually have a 4" grip, and I have some big mits, and 2" fades so the glue on pc only has to be 8"-8 1/2" long

Offline VicNova

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:40 pm »
The design is excellent! Burlap fabric makes a great backing and comes in a lot of different colors but you could leave it un-backed since it is hickory.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 11:29:29 pm »
If the grain is even mediocre, You can use the flat planed side of the board for your back. Hickory is a wonderful wood to work with. Does not really need a backing. I backed mine for the camo effect. Otherwise the clear satin poly I used would let the natural color stand out like a neon sign in the woods. The belly on mine is sealed with 2 coats of BC Tru-Oil with 4 coats MW Poly Satin. I even used 2 coats of wax on the belly while leaving the back alone, as I don't want that to shine in a hunting situation.

A Dimensional(true measurement) 2x4 will yield a decent bow with a decent draw weight. I didn't use a handle block in mine, and I have a bit of flex in the handle. Seems to make it a bit more snappy of a shooter. I like your design, and am thinking of using a similar one for My next bow.

On finding the right piece of wood, find an Amish woodworker or a cabinet maker. They are a good source of Dimensional Lumber and the seem to have the cleaner pieces......Just My .02....Cheers
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:17 am »
Hickory is a great bow wood, but just make sure you're watching to keep it around 6% moisture content so it won't take as much set. I mostly use hickory as a backing over quarter sawn red oak, but it works great as a selfbow too. It's very forgiving as to grain runout and such. I'll attach a picture of how I make my bows - I've built over a dozen of these with very repeatable results. When you get to the tillering stage, you should have very little wood to remove. It's nothing fancy, but it gets the job done!
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 10:41:17 am »
Keep your first simple. No glued on handles. Let the handle bend. No narrowed handle. Grain is important.
Take a look at my site. There is a buildalong for a red oak board there. Follow that. Since you want 45-50# you can narrow the width of the board to 1 3/8 in.

Keep your first simple.

Did I already say that? :)

Jawge

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 03:57:14 pm »
 Wooden Spring

Thats a very nice and detailed illustration you posted there.
It should help many get started.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 04:00:23 pm »
In fact,
Ive got some Ipe i been holdin onto for a while now.I think i know what im gonna do with some of it now.Gonna make a new bow for this years NALS.
Thanxx for the nudge.LOL