Author Topic: 2nd norse inspired flint striker  (Read 7877 times)

Offline KHalverson

2nd norse inspired flint striker
« on: January 26, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »
a dragon styled flint striker forged from a hay rake tine
as forged other than maybe 30 seconds with a small round file in the horn and mouth areas
the eye is hot punched.
thanks for looking
Kevin

the dragons breath.

Offline burchett.donald

Re: 2nd norse inspired flint striker
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »
That's awesome Kevin, Looks like it's sling'n some heat! I love it...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 03:01:44 pm »
By Odin's frozen buttocks, that right there is just the thing!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 05:28:48 pm »

there ya go Kevin, that is indeed, just the ticket.  8) 8)  Any of your ancestors would be proud to use that!  Should also cause your cousin puff out his chest, and say proudly, "It was all my idea!"  And indeed it was.  Careful, he is at this very moment trying to come up with some clever maneuver to relieve you of that nifty little spark thrower!  No doubt he will throw in the relative card, and say, if he had that at the rendezvous, he could get you all kinds of orders for them.  Tell him, nah, you have all the orders you can fill as it is with the PA crowd. ;)  That should put a thumb print in his twinkie! ;D  Oooooh! tell him, that it was just a practice run, and you have already hammered it into blanket clasp pin. ;D ;D ;D
But then he would probably try to finagle some way to get that also.  Ya gotta vatch dat boy alla time!  Now I of course would be proud to hang it on my mantle in Montana, and proudly display it to all my Friends, and tell of the great Norse Blacksmith who forged it from the iron he found in a Meteorite!  Oh, yeah, that was supposed to be Jim Bowie, ok, I can still use it anyway.  Yep made by a guy named Halverson!  Big name in Norway. Then you can forge another one, and make a couple of molds from it, and start casting them.  Yeah, give one of those to your  cousin, you know, the one that is always sucking up to you whenever you make something pretty nifty.  Now I on the other hand will not stoop to such gutter tactics!  No sir!  well not at first..... I will just tell it like it is, just plain spiffy as all get out!  You even got the Norse styling on it too!
Hey, see if he will cut, split, and stack some wood for you, and hint that you might could possibly part with it after that. ;)  Oohhh, see if he will jump for it..... ;D  That's what he gets for calling me "Stick breaker"!!  Not that it isn't correct, but it just isn't cricket so to speak, you know. proper courtesy and all that.

At any rate, that is first rate there Kevin, well done.  Yeah, go ahead, and give him one.  He will just pester you till you do anyway. ;)

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 05:43:06 pm »
Wayne, the wet blanket.

But seriously.  Ain't it cool how much talent we have stalking this website?  Whether it is archery related or anything else for that matter.  The cross pollination of ideas between one discipline and another is why I keep coming back.  Man, I just love this place.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:40:29 pm »
thanks all.
you guys are way too kind.
these small projects are a lot of fun.
an a great way to kill some time on a  cooold snowy Michigan weekend while furthering my smithing skills.
stay tuned for some more different styled strikers.
Kevin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 08:24:07 pm »
Wayne, the wet blanket.

But seriously.  Ain't it cool how much talent we have stalking this website?  Whether it is archery related or anything else for that matter.  The cross pollination of ideas between one discipline and another is why I keep coming back.  Man, I just love this place.

Slurp, slurp. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 10:01:25 pm »
    And whilst, I was preoccupied with yanking on yer cuzin's chain a bit, I failed to notice that the tail was also a screwdriver, as some of the originals had also.  As much as I hate to admit it, your cousin is once again correct, on the amazing amalgam of talent on this site.  His included.  From geology, dendrology, and other plant knowledge, chemistry, Boyer's, arrow smiths, black smiths, white and gold smiths, (I have a little bit of experience in that.) biology, veterinary medicine, paleo medicine, Dental arts, (me) lithic artists, leather crafters, jewelry, (I have a little bit of experience in that too)  carpentry, pottery, snipers, cabinet makers, musical instrument makers, musicians, archaeologists, etc. just to name a few.  I personally don't know of any other site that has such a varied, and talented membership background.  And all willing to lend their particular expertise, and or knowledge, or when asked to demonstrate, or answer a question, and explain it in simple detail.  Now I was wondering where I could get a bundle of glowing ore, because I was wondering about putting it together, in a tight wad, and surrounding it with high intensity explosives, (Where could I get that?) and simultaneously detonate it, causing the material to implode, if it would be enough to cause nuclear fusion, and make for a rather dramatic fireworks display. :o :o ATTENTION NSA, ATTENTION NSA, this is a JOKE, It is Only a JOKE, had this been a real scenario, the PROPER Authorities would have been notified, and our eagle eyed monitors would have snatched it off this site.  I am not now, nor ever have been a member, or supporter of any radical groups, above, or under ground, that would want to overthrow our most glorious Government, or it's  wonderful, and superb employees. :)
God I hope that is clear enough for them.
Anyway, there is probably some knowledge in that area also.  I used to have a few very high clearances, in the military.
Not in that category, but I was in in the know of the where abouts of such items.  Anyway, J.W. you are absolutely correct, this do be a most interesting site.  Sort of like an information pool for a set of Encyclopedia Britanica!  The older crowd will understand that.  "Tim it was a long time ago", when there used to be encyclopedia sales men, and the Encyclopedia Britanica, was even included as prizes on game shows.  It was sort of like the hard copy of the internet.  "Why if your kid had a complete set of these books", he will pass all the other kids in his or her grades, because of all the knowledge contained herein.  Why here take a look at these beautiful color photographs, of a Monarch butterfly, and look, here is a falcon diving at approximately 200 mph!  See it even explains why owls have soft feathers, instead of firm ones.  It is so that they, can swoop down on their prey at night and not be heard.  Now if you will just sign here, and sign a check for a down payment, and I will place your order in, and you will be billed in small equal amounts monthly.  Now look at the wonderment on your Child's face. (Gee I hope Dad doesn't fall for all that hokey horse poop!) (I'm going to wait for Uncle Al Gore to invent the internet, and make compact  Brainiac" computers for personal use.) ;)  Tim Brainiac, was a Huge computer,It took up a complete large room, and was extremely amazing for the time.  For the time!  Now your watch can do more functions, and do it in split seconds, than that thing could in an hour.  See, why even dumpster divers can now gain knowledge previously unknown to them.  Now Tim can enthral his Friends with his new found knowledge.  Hey, do any of you know what an item called Brainiac was?  Wow, Tim, you know so much primitive history!
Yep a nifty keen, slicker than snot on a door knob, fantastic site.  Makes cussing at my demonically possessed computer worthwhile.  Sorry, I didn't go into too much detail, as I wanted to keep it short, and simple. ::) ;)  How's that J.W. ?

Wayne

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:59:00 pm by stickbender »

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 10:15:25 pm »
Nice Kevin. Are you running out of hay rake tines yet hay season isn't far away.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 03:28:50 pm »
nice work kevin, almost bought one of your knives at Kzoo....was checking them out at Chuck's booth! Buttttt...I was down to my beer stash cash at that point.  >:D
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 04:08:24 pm »
Thats cool Kevin!!  I've been spending my lunches watching viking vids on youtube. perfect timing! great work as usual, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:03 pm »
Nice Kevin. Are you running out of hay rake tines yet hay season isn't far away.

rob
I have a couple left.
could you tell me what brand you buy?
if I get in a hurt ill go buy a couple new ones  just wanna get the right ones
they got some good steel in em.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 08:57:34 pm »
Kevin I'll check & get back with you.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 09:05:43 pm »

I guess he's making hay waiting for the sun to shine!   ;D
nice work kevin, almost bought one of your knives at Kzoo....was checking them out at Chuck's booth! Buttttt...I was down to my beer stash cash at that point.  >:D

Kevin's stuff lasts longer than beer, a much better buy! 

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 11:36:06 pm »

Plus, if you were holding one of his knives, and casually shaving the hairs off of your arm, and asked someone for a beer, I think that they would have bought you a "Couple". ;) ::)

Wayne