Author Topic: Deciding what to do...what you think?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
Deciding what to do...what you think?
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:20:49 pm »
Osage - 64" ttt, 1.5" to midlimb then tapering to about 1/2".  Started with a pretty snakey stave with some knots - had to do a lot of heating to get the string to line up through the handle.  One edge of the stave had a knot that I had to leave (hoping things would hold ok).

Anyway - got it to a low brace - 4" or so and I can see a slight crack forming in the knot along the edge.  You can see the crack on the left of the knot in the picture.

This is what I am thinking for options:

1.  super glue it and then leave it and continue to tiller - see if it holds.  If it doesn't maybe the knot will just pop out and then I can try and patch it.

2. super glue then wrap with sinew - tiller it out the best I can leaving the sinew wrap in place and work around it.

3. super glue then put a layer of sinew over the knot area.

4. sand the back of the bow down and put on a thin hickory backing.

5.  fire wood

I hate not trying to get this piece shooting - have already put in quite a bit of time on it.  Plus I am kind of stubborn that way.  In hindsight I should have either avoided that knot in the lay out or picked a different stave if that wasn't possible.  But I didn't and here I am.

What you all think?

Thanks,

Mitch

Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline k-hat

Re: Deciding what to do...what you think?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:58:58 pm »
Which side is the belly/back?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »
If that bottom pic is the back, you've got multiple rings showing (ie: they're cut through) and the knot is cut through as well (even on the other side).  Hate to tell you but it looks like she's a gonner. :-\

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:10:05 pm »
Is this a board bow ? I can tell there's many violations on the back including the knot
I like osage

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:27:40 pm »
I hate not trying to get this piece shooting - have already put in quite a bit of time on it.  Plus I am kind of stubborn that way.  In hindsight I should have either avoided that knot in the lay out or picked a different stave if that wasn't possible.  But I didn't and here I am.

From what i can see from the pictures i think if it were mine i would flatten the back and glue on a  hickory or bamboo backing. Not sure if anything less will ever hold it together. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in with a better idea ( of course firewood might be the best idea). Good luck and if you continue with it be carefull to stay safe.
Steve Bennett

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:32:56 pm »
Yikes  :o    That knot area looks pretty sketchy to me. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 11:07:16 pm »
OK fire wood it is.  Thanks for telling me what i already knew but didn't want to admit!  :embarassed:
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 11:11:09 pm »
Ok, now that you have decided to junk it, try "fixing it to death".  Pick a sinew wrap, rawhide patch or what have you.  Then work it up and see what happens.  If it survives, you have pulled a lion out of a hat.  If you fail, it was already gone before you pushed the issue. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 11:37:16 pm »
Back it with bamboo...but then again what do I know? I'm just an optimist...
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Renacs

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 11:43:05 pm »
I cant tell what section of the limb has the knot, but can you narrow the bow more. To maybe a inch. In order to get read of the knot.You still have a good lenght to work with it just might be alittle light when finished

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 11:57:09 pm »
JW - not a bad idea - it is hanging on the wall with the other bows in progress.  Too windy to burn tomorrow anyway - expecting 50-60 mph winds!  I have 4 others in progress that I will work on for now - will give me time to ponder its method of death - maybe sinew?

mohawk - I have not messed with bamboo at all and would have to order some as well as some glue - don't think I want to spend any money on it at this point.

Renacs - that was a possibility also - but it would be less than an 1" wide.  We will see - having a light shooting bow around would be good.

Thanks guys!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 12:35:24 am »
I agree with JW, experiment with it and see what you can do.  What if you narrow it to an inch wide, make it bend in the handle, and shorten it.  Kind of like an eastern woodland bow.  You might be able to keep the draw weight up some.  Just an idea. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 04:48:22 am »
Ok, now that you have decided to junk it, try "fixing it to death".  Pick a sinew wrap, rawhide patch or what have you.  Then work it up and see what happens.  If it survives, you have pulled a lion out of a hat.  If you fail, it was already gone before you pushed the issue.

+1

Don't give up on it, these are the staves that teach you very valuable lessons. Personally I'd glue a thick rawhide patch over the area on the back or just leave it and carry on tillering. Study the break (if and when)

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:42:43 am »
Back it. Rawhide, thin maple or hickory. Like others have said, what do you have to lose?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 08:46:25 am »
Id consider adding rawhide complete, including wrapping it over the edges to the belly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.