Author Topic: Broke my board bow  (Read 1209 times)

Offline TheCelticArcher

Broke my board bow
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:00:20 pm »
I wish I had taken some pictures of it so I could get some advice on why it broke but I think it was because it had a hinge in it. It broke on the upper mid limb, so I thought to cut off the break and then cut it down on the other end to make it even and make a 42" bow now im not sure how this one is going to turn out.
I would post pictures of the new cut down bow but the pictures are to large of a file from my phone and wont let me.

Offline Mike Joe

Re: Broke my board bow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 09:20:34 pm »
I've broke two in the last week, so I feel your pain.

If you post some more information about the bow, maybe someone more experienced than myself can help you out. Such as the type of wood your using, your draw length, design, or dimensions.

42" seems pretty short to me. 
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline TheCelticArcher

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 09:27:15 pm »
I've broke two in the last week, so I feel your pain.

If you post some more information about the bow, maybe someone more experienced than myself can help you out. Such as the type of wood your using, your draw length, design, or dimensions.

42" seems pretty short to me. 

it was a red oak board bow that i was trying to copy from poor folks bows. My draw length is 28" but i was thinking this 42" bow might could reach 18'-20" at a very light draw weight.

Offline TheCelticArcher

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:38:07 pm »

That is the same bow now cut down to 42" it starts out 1/4" at the knocks and gets thicker twards the midle at 3/4". The tips on the back of the bow is 1/2" and gets bigger in the center at 1 1/4" the handle area is 7 1/2" long.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:54:22 pm by TheCelticArcher »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:14:02 pm »
A good rule of thumb for the bow length for  the first 10 -20 bows is 2 times the draw length plus the stiff handle or about 8".................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking