Author Topic: bracing a static  (Read 6188 times)

Offline adb

bracing a static
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:18:43 pm »
What's the best (safest) way to brace a static recurve? I have a Bear Grizzly static recurve (circa 1950) and bracing it push/pull gives me the willies. Stringer? If stringer, what type?

Offline Mohawk13

Re: bracing a static
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:22:04 pm »
Stringer for sure. Thunderhorn makes a good one. I usually only brace My static Kodiak once a year and then leave it strung, as most risk to a bow is during bracing. Push pull and around the leg will kill a bow limb faster than lightning..Stringer is the only way to go on any bow!!!!,
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:24:19 pm »
Nothing wrong with push/pull on a longbow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:22:25 pm »
Adam, I use a stringer with leather cups on each end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:40:45 pm »

:o :o Be carful using the push pull method you could put and eye out or bust your self up side your head.....
I'm with Pat B on this one ...use a stringer......
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:02:02 pm »
I have always used the push pull method but you have to do it right to avoid damaging the bow or hurting yourself. I have used some stringers that were even worse and more stress than the push pull method. I hate the step through method, I think that is the worst!
Pat is right a good stringer is almost always your best bet but it can be done other ways.

Mark

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:15:40 pm »
Some stringers will destroy a selfbow. 

I always use the push/pull, unless the bow has a high draw weight.  The step through will work but you have to be very careful how you use it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 08:24:47 pm »
I agree with ya  Mark and Marc........I've done the push /pull method most of the time.  But for beginners it's pretty hard to do, but like every thing else experience and more times you try.. helps.  A tight recurve static can be hard to push/pull to string. Something I've been doing is using a bread tie to hold the string on the static at the bottom limb as I use the push / pull method.  But It's still difficult to do on a severe static curve.  I'm with ya on the stringer but it helps a beginner to get the first bow or two strung....  As far as the step through ..yes I think you have to be very carful ,.........it can twist on ya.
DBar

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 08:31:32 pm »
Sorry...........Back to answering your question as to "what" stringer.... I like to use a leather cup on the bottom limb with the rubber grip in the upper limb static curve. But this is just IMO.
DBar

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 08:59:26 pm »
I us e the same as Danz Bar for my 65# Damon Howat.  I also have a rubber tip protector on the bottom nock, that holds the string in place as well. Was there when i bought it. Works well, so I left it. Leather cup goes on there and the rubber fitting goes on the top limb as far out to the tip as you can. You'll likely have to adjust the stringer to the right length for the bow and your reach. Way safe than trying to wrestle those crazy recurves into submission right at face level.  ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 11:40:08 pm »

:o :o Be carful using the push pull method you could put and eye out or bust your self up side your head.....
I'm with Pat B on this one ...use a stringer......
DBar

I'm talking about just a static recurve here though. Push/pull for a longbow, but I'm asking specifically about a static recurve.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 11:45:14 pm »
Take it from someone who owns and has owned multiple static recurves. USE A STRINGER!!!!!!  I don't know how many I have seen destroyed by push/pull and around the leg. Longbows OK, but not statics. They are much to valuable to be messing around bracing without a stringer....
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2014, 11:46:07 pm »
Take it from someone who owns and has owned multiple static recurves. USE A STRINGER!!!!!!  I don't know how many I have seen destroyed by push/pull and around the leg. Longbows OK, but not statics. They are much to valuable to be messing around bracing without a stringer....

Thanks... sounds like the best option to me.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 12:01:02 am »
Yep use a quality stringer.  I use the one that came with my recurve.  A cup on one end and a flat rubber piece on the other - no issues getting it strung up.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 04:32:12 am »
Personally for sharply recurved selfbows I prefer the step through method. I know that I am stressing the limbs evenly when I use this method. As for the step through method twisting limbs....well it's not the method per say more how it's executed. You just need to stop and think about what you are doing and get everything lined up.
Otherwise it's push/pull.