Author Topic: Thinking about a canoe  (Read 10713 times)

Offline Scallorn

Thinking about a canoe
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:51:02 pm »
I'm thinking about building a dugout canoe in the traditional native American style. I live in east Texas, so I have access to plenty of large pine trees. Has anyone ever built anything like this? I found several early engravings on the web that explain what they looked like, and the process of building them. If you have built one, please post pic's and comments on the process.

Offline Scallorn

Re: Thinking about a canoe
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:53:24 pm »
resizing these pic's is allot of trouble. ::)

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:47:42 pm »
I want to build one so bad!  What kind of wood are looking at using?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 04:49:16 pm »
I don't have any pictures of the one we built in the late 70's, but I can tell you burning out the log, getting the sides and floor thin enough, and getting the canoe balanced so it floats upright, is a challenge that will develop an expanded profanity vocabulary and a few grey hairs. Once completed and sealed, and made to float upright, it is a rewarding experience. The one we made can be viewed at the St. Regis Cultural Center in Oka. Good luck. Make sure to seal the wood well or it will crack on you. Then you will find out how well moss and pine pitch seal cracks in canoes....LOL
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 05:14:50 pm »
I'm planning on using pine. If I keep it in the shade, i thought the natural resin in the log would seal it well enough. I have no evperience though, so i'm not sure...

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 10:44:15 am »
I read somewhere that once you get close to the bottom drill a series of one inch holes to judge you wall thickness. Once finished you plug the holes with wood plugs and cut them off flush. Never built one but would also like to. Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 08:26:04 pm »
Most of them found in Florida were made out of pine. There is four on the bottom of the lake in town here and another in a lake right outside of town.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 09:31:03 pm »
Humm, I would have thought cypress. Oh well. There is a lake in NC that produced 30 or so dug outs.
I will see if there is a link somewhere.
I know I could make a crude one in 2 days or 3  days with a chain saw lol
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 10:24:20 pm »
trees for dugout canoes in NC lake
The image is at:
online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1000142405274870329660457600559...

Can't get the blue link but just search the top sentence.
Good luck, Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 12:32:38 am »
Unfortunately I'm too far north for cypress trees. but pine is common around here. The biggest problem for me is figuring out how to move a log that size back to my house. I had a great idea for a cheap sealant when the boat is finished. Cooking Oil!!! I'm going to buy a few big jugs of it and paint it on with a brush. :)

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 12:33:27 am »
BTW, Any pic's would still be nice.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 01:07:04 am »
I did poor man pulp wood to survive when I first went to live in VA.
If I could get my van arse end to the log I would wedge it up above the floor board.
Then peel backwards. Give the log a shove and pungy cord the doors.
My 360 1 ton Dodge worked great. With my six cylinder Chevy it could take two tries sometimes.
Park and block a utility trailer. Use a piece of plywood to cover the metal webbing of the ramp
Hammer a large eye bolt in the center of the end cut. Attach rope, cable or chain and pull up onto trailer wirh truck, tractor, 4 wheeler or wench.
Now, go get ya a log.
Zuma

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 01:26:53 am »
thanks for the advise Zuma! That sounds great. I found a tree within walking distance of my house, I'm thinking something around 25-30 ft though. I'll probably end up using a tractor and a flatbed trailer.  ;D

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 01:51:48 am »
You are going to need a small Navy or a strong dollie to move that canoe. 25-30 feet, even hollowed out will tip the scales close to 500 LBS...Might want to start small and work your way up. How many people are going to be helping?
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.