Author Topic: Whens the next Bow Trade?  (Read 4706 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Whens the next Bow Trade?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 08:00:09 pm »
The bow trade u need a subscription and whatnot right? I didn't plan on joining this year, maybe I'll be more up to snuff next year. Just curious. Love watching the thread though!

you dont need a sub to join the trade.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 11:51:19 am »
Oh really? I thought u did.id join this year, but I don't wanna send someone my 4th or 5th bow. I wanna be more on par
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 12:00:52 pm »
These bow trades are for anyone and everyone. The main requirement is that you do the best you can for your recipient. It doesn't matter if you have only built a few bows or a hundred bows as long as you do your best for your recipient. It is about pushing your ability and improving your bow making and not about the bow you might receive. You may receive a bow from one of our "experts" but you might receive a bow from a beginner. The trade is about the bow you send out and not the one you receive. Sometimes we will settle for just OK for a bow for ourselves but for someone else you will do your absolute best for them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 12:12:38 pm »
I totally agree with Pat. With the exception that I feel its crucial that you've made at least a few proven bows. Quite a few of the make up bows Ive made over the last 3 years where for folks who got all excited and signed up only to realize it was too early and they couldn't make it happen. As Ive said a 100 times before, finish and fancy means zero in this swap, but the bow should be safe to draw and shoot. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 12:32:12 pm »
Pat, with all due respect, I do not believe that was the case with this years swap. Folks even had to gain admittance by OK of "the committee" as to their suitability, and then post up progress reports, so I don't believe it was for anybody and everybody. Make up bows been done since the very first swap and probably will for as long as the swap occurs.

Just one guy's opinion
rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 12:50:32 pm »
I somewhat agree, Rich but the guys running the swap have to deal with the issues the best they can. The bow swaps have always been for everyone and anyone but if someone can't build a safe, shootable bow they shouldn't get in....until they can. I think Pearlie said it well in his previous post.
 Some folks see these trades as a way to get a new bow for free. If they forget about the bow that they might receive and concentrate on building the best bow they can build for their recipient the trade will be a success and they will be better wood bow builders. I've participated in every bow trade except for last year(on PA ND TG). Most of the bows I have received have been from beginners but I could tell from the bow that the builder did the best he could for the knowledge and the materials he had on hand. They are all a cherished part of my collection along with bows from the best wood bow builders out there, you included.
...and thank goodness we have folks willing to build make-up bows for anyone that might get stiffed. That is what makes our community one of the best there is...and the deadbeats get a special place in Mullet's "little black book"!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 01:00:15 pm »
The "rules" can be whatever the facilitators decide them to be. If you want change? Grab those dangling reigns and do so. Im not barking at you Rich, just offering a chance to change what you see fit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dbb

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 01:15:42 pm »
I would love to get in on next trade,and im confident i could make a bow that i can be proud to give away now.
BUT that would set someone up for a stiff shippingcost as i live in sweden so i guess i just have to drool at all the cool bows....again  :'(
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline 4dog

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 01:59:50 pm »
whats it cost to get a bow over to sweden anyway?  :-\
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 02:20:05 pm »
Cost about two fitty to send Danny a swap bow in England.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 02:31:26 pm »
i know a guy contacted me about being willing to ship from australia to the U.S in the next xmas trade. he doesnt expect anything in return either because of the high shipping rate. i cant remember who it was specifically but if i hear from him again if he sees this post ill see what he says.

Offline dbb

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 02:46:07 pm »

shipping a 70" 5" tube from sweden to alabama (just random loc) is around 100dollars with fedex international.
Dont know the other way around.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 02:49:53 pm »

shipping a 70" 5" tube from sweden to alabama (just random loc) is around 100dollars with fedex international.
Dont know the other way around.

thats not too bad, should be way cheaper if you make a short bow and put it in a thinner tube.

Offline dbb

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 02:56:08 pm »
no big difference until it gets really short.
and you dont know who you draw...it might be some gorilla with 33"draw  ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2014, 09:29:27 pm »
im waiting to hear back on something then ill get it started.

I think he has heard...
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.