Author Topic: 52" osage follow along  (Read 33536 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: 52" osage follow along
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2014, 04:57:38 pm »
Yes Sir!

Looking Good...

I'll be watchin'?.  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2014, 05:03:46 pm »
Coming along nicely, Clint. Is that a sister stave to the one you gave me? The bends  look to be in the same area.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2014, 05:43:27 pm »
I don't know if its a sister stave Pat but its at least a cousin  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2014, 06:50:03 pm »
I've got one I need to sinew.guess i'll be pounding out some for moontree.see ya there guys.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2014, 07:25:11 pm »
I'm about 4 pages late getting in on this post.  WHAT'S SO FUNNY, is I was thinking about attempting (for the 2nd time) sinewing that little 49" ntn "S" shaped stave at Moon Tree Gathering.  So, it sounds like we're going to have hide glue all over the shop.  GRIN
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2014, 08:56:52 pm »
Sounds good Steve and Dave.  And don't worry about a mess from me Dave.  I keep a plastic table cloth in my supply kit.  I do my sinew work on the kitchen island when the wife is at work so I know better than to leave a mess.

I flipped the other tip tonight.  It went much easier than the other one.

I went inside for a few minutes and when I came back out to the shop I noticed a crack had developed.  It goes at least another inch to the left in the picture.  I filled it with thin superglue 3 times.  It looks like it stays straight in the tip.  I can always add a sinew wrap if I need to. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2014, 10:07:40 pm »
bows,sinew and big bore handguns.sounds like my all time dream.see you there guys.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 10:19:43 pm »
Looks like it is right in the middle, shouldn't be a problem at all :)

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 12:38:48 am »
Clint, I'm knot worried about a in "my workshop"  haha

Clint, this is just MHO and other will, maybe disagree.  When I do a cut in handle in a bendy handle bow I like to extend the fade 3 to
3 1/2"  That way the step down isn't quite as abrupt.  I have been told once that you shouldn't/couldn't do a bendy handle bow with a cut in handle.  But isn't that what a paddle bow is?  And I've shot probably a dozen such bows (not build by me).  And, I have one that I'm finishing for Brian that is just that style.  I gave him that bow last August, but I didn't get the "finish" on it before he needed it to practice with before our annual primitive bow hunt in Sept.  Now, I just need to apply the lipstick.  Granted it doesn't bend a whole lot in the handle, but you can see it bend in photos and feel it in your hand.  Just a suggestion.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 03:26:44 am »
Good work so far, I wouldn't be worried about the crack. The super glue should do the job.
Can't wait to see more ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2014, 08:17:39 am »
Clint,
I've got about five or six checks like that in the belly of the sinew back osage I'm working now.  I filled them with super glue and hope not to have problems.
I agree with everyone else can't wait to see more.  Really like these types of posts.
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline tetaxidermy

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2014, 10:47:30 am »
Watching with interest, I currently hunt with a similar bow.
"Andy Dufresne: Get busy living, or get busy dying."
The Shawshank Redemption

Offline Josh B

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2014, 11:04:26 am »
Its lookin good Clint!  Dave, I know alot of fellas that do the narrowed bendy handle and there are several museum examples of it having been done on selfbows as well as the Western sinew backed ones.  whoever told you that was misinformed to say the least.   BTW, I really wish I could make it to Moontree.  Big bore hand cannons, bows and who knows what else, man that sounds like fun!  Josh

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 03:23:03 pm »
very nice.  thanks for doing this!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2014, 04:51:45 pm »
Hey Gun Doc,
I must have missed you at the last Classic.  You have got to make it to a Moon Tree.... Dave's a great host and the guys that show up......well you know.. ::)  are a great bunch.  Come hang out with us ,  sounds like some sinew'ning going on this year,  I'm hoping to add a snake skin to the sinew backed osage I'm work'n on now.

By the way............. come on Clint, post some more pic's  of that bow it's the weekend, I know your working on it.  >:D :) :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking