Author Topic: Old bow handles?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Old bow handles?
« on: January 17, 2014, 07:58:52 am »
Of all the original bows from native americans, do they show any sign or indication of having a leather handle wrap? I like putting them on my bows, but of all the pictures I have seen, none had any handle wraps.

I would think that leather or other wraps would discolor the wood some or inprint a wraping image.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Old bow handles?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:26 am »
Not sure, I would assume some did  :-\ as for me don't know what the NA's did but I like some kind of handle /either  one piece leather or wrapped with something.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:45:45 am »
That's a good question really. We see a lot of leather handles today, but we also spend most of our time indoors, and so do our bows. In a primitive living setting I would guess that a bow would be exposed to rain and wet more regularly. Hunters didn't always have the option of only hunting in good weather, and as good as some primitive shelters were, I'd guess they weren't entirely water proof, and they certainly didn't control the humidity.

I would think that in wetter climates a leather handle would be prone to rot, and would hold moisture against the bow causing the wood to rot earlier than it otherwise would. So a handle might not be a very practical thing in a primitive situation set in a damp climate.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:09 am »
NC,  My understanding is that in the area of the hardwood self bow the grips were not wrapped. Apparently that occurred in the area of the wide sinewed and composite bow. That would be the plateau and rocky Mountains westward including the Northwest Coast. That is according to an examination of bows in the Smithsonian and other National Museums.
    Having just said that, some tribal elders have told me that there were occasionally bows that were so decorated at the whim of the "carrier" (bows owner). But these were very rare. That is amongst the "Indians"  Of the Eskimo bows in the National Museum I don't believe there are any with a wrapped grip.
rich

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:49:59 am »
I would like to chime in here, I specialize in the Plains bow but am very familiar with other regions. Here is my thoughts........ The average bow did not have a handle, shelf or mark indicating where it was held. The holding of the bow was a natural occurrence and each man knew exactly where his hand needed to be when he was ready to shoot just by instinct. Having made and shot short bows for decades I know in an instant when I pick up a short bow where my hand needs to be placed, if it's not right you can feel it right away!
It is noted in many writings that Indians didn't fight with bows in the rain, The simple reason for this is that the bow strings so often made from sinew or rawhide would stretch. Handles were seen occasionally but it was not the norm for the Plains people. The highly decorated bows and ceremonial bows are seen portrayed with handles, Most horn bows had some kind of handle even if it was a full sinew wrap, this was because alot of these bows were spliced at the center.
I have never seen a southern Plains bow with a handle of any kind other than a wrap of sinew, and that was not used as a handle per-say but rather to hold sinew backing in place.

E

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:55 pm »
Most recurves do not have a handle wrap, but have a designated shelf. Current trend seems to dictate a handle wrap if building a bow without a recurve handle or grip. Only reason that makes me want to add a grip wrap is that it makes the arrow quieter on drawing the bow. Seems worse with cane arrows when it pulls across a node. There is also a concern of running a feather into the hand when shooting off the knuckle. Forces you to make certain the feathers are wrapped clean on the front of the arrow... :-\

Thanks for the replies and information.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes