Author Topic: Ash backed red oak?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Ash backed red oak?
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:32:43 am »
Would ash make a good backing for red oak? Or would maple be better?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: Ash backed red oak?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:28:18 am »
my guess whould be maple, ash cracks and blows with a slight misstep but maple seems a little more forgiving... more people know for sure i bet though
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 10:41:27 am »
I've read both have been successful, I have lams of maple so I'll have to glue a block on the front over the joint. I had an ash log I cut some lams out of. So I'm just wondering what works better

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:52:20 am »
Ash is good in tension.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:54:35 am »
It's quarter sawn ash

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:55:29 am »
But which one pearly? Full size ash or two maple lams. Both quarter sawn

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:57:49 am »
A thin backing over the joint will hold it together so either should be fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 11:31:15 am »
Ive never used maple in any way. I have used ash, Id suggest ash.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 12:38:48 pm »
My question would actually be WHY use the red oak?  It is poopy doodles in compression.  I've made several RO bows and only a few make it thru to shooting and even those seem to eventually wind up with more set than I'd like to see.  If you have maple lams and long Ash blanks, well there's your bow!

BTW - I'm not saying RO is impossible, ...it's just frustrateing as heck!  ...especially in compression.  It's a non-ideal belly wood in my opinion.

OneBow

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 02:08:29 pm »
I have the red oak sitting in my corner. Figured I'd try to use it.

Offline brettd

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 04:43:39 pm »
I'm quite new to bow building (I've completed exactly two ELB's, 1 at 20pds and one at 50pds) and have been using Red Oak (Home Depot) for bellies, and Hickory (local lumberyard) or Maple (Lowe's/HD) for backs.  I am getting something like a 1" set on each limb - is that because of the problems of RO in compression?  Would I get less set with Maple bellies?  I've just been living with the set, seems not to be getting any worse after about 200 shots.  I find that RO is soft and easy/fast to work, and it looks nice.  I'd love to hear more about the benefits/probs of RO.

Offline Pago

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 12:44:30 am »
I'm no expert, but if you read the bowyers bibles 1" of set is negligible and in reality a little bit of set makes a bow more stable and forgiving.  I see a lot of posts here and elsewhere that would lead a person to believe any set is bad.  I suggest if it is working for you stick with it.  I think your bows sound interesting and might be the ticket for many who have limited access to "premium" woods.  Personally I would appreciate a thread or build along for a maple backed RO that takes 1" of set!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 01:11:39 am »
Yeah, 1" set ain't bad for red oak. One piece of red oak can be drastically different than the next piece in quality. It is best to look for all the piece's with good straight grain, than compare all the good pieces for the ones that are the densest.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 02:30:37 am »
This red oak board is a 1x4, three or four growth rings across and straight for 6' or so. I had to buy it when I found it. Then it sat, then I found an old ash stave that just sat, not I have ash lams and a RO board.  I was thinking a elb or a afb, any suggestions?

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 05:26:16 am »
bretd, to answer your question yes you would be better off with maple, but if it's good hard maple you don't have to back it just make a self bow, maple makes a great bow
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:46:06 am by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹