Author Topic: Bucket List - Nels Grumley Style Recurve  (Read 13714 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Bucket List - Nels Grumley Style Recurve
« on: January 13, 2014, 10:39:25 pm »
Starting in the late 1930's, Nels Grumley a bowyer for Bear Archery produced a static recurve.  One of them was the "Deerslayer" model with long, static tips.  About a year ago, I sawed up some osage into slats.  A bow style that's always been on my bucket list to attempt, was this Deerslayer bow.

About a year ago, I sawed up some osage that I harvested the year prior into slats.  A good friend wanted to build one in my shop which began the motivation for myself to build one.  For the hickory backing, I cut one out of an exceptionally straight-grained lumber store board.  First, I built a hard bending jig for the static tips.  Then, I built a reflexed gluing form that hopefully would yield a straight standing bow, by the time it was all done.  Life got in the way for my buddy so I decided to move forward with my own.  I used every c-clamp I owned (about 50) gluing the pre-bent backing to the pre-bent osage slat.  It wasn't easy figuring out the inside radius bend of the osage to the outside radius bend of the hickory then the distance between the statics, in getting it all to fit.  Nevertheless, I glued it up and removed it from the form after a couple of days and set it aside.  Well life got in the way for me, last year and there it sat. 

A few weekends ago, I decided to do something for myself.  I reached for the glue-up and began the floor tillering process.  From there, I carved out the tips as it became time for a long string.  While working on the long string, I thought of trapping the back as I recall seeing them that way.  The tips were very challenging.  I didn't have an original Grumley to look at, so I surfed the internet which provided different profiles of the bow and tip sections.  There were no measurements to be found so, I had to rely also on my guts and memory of those I've seen to tell me when they were "right".  Finally, It came time to put it on the wall at brace height.  I sure was nervous reducing the weight, identifying the stiff spots and reaching 28-inches.  I thought for certain that it was going to blow up.  Ah, but it held together and I reached my target weight. 

My father-in-law gave me some piano keys from an antique piano that he tore apart, hoping that I may be able to use the ivory some day.  Some Grumley's had tip overlays, so I thought of the ivory.  Ivory can be quite brittle when thin.  I destroyed 6 keys to end up with 2 overlays.  I also fashioned an arrow plate from another key which also cost me a few extra piano keys.  For the grip, I recalled some of the older bows I've held, having a glued on leather wrap without stitching.  So that's what I did although, I wish that I'd had some in burgundy or red.

Final stats:  52# at 28".  The overall length is 66-inches; 64-inches tip-to 1/2 inch tip.  It shoots a hard, seemingly fast arrow right where I'm looking.  I'm really liking this bow.  Enough said; maybe way too much.  Here's some pics.

More here:   http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44563.0.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:53:24 pm by MWirwicki »
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bucket List - Nels Grumley Style Recurve
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:44:10 pm »
Cool bow Matt! I have the same bow on my list. Great work.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:45:08 pm »
Incredible bow Matt! Good to see you post one again. That ones a bit long for you though isn't it?  ;D

Jon

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:10:05 pm »
Everyone should make one. I have to re-build myself one after mine suffered a fatal accident.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 11:19:29 pm »
Dang, there is another for my bucket list. Very nice, Matt.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 12:01:43 am »
Matt that is a sweet bow,I have some Burgundy leather if you want to switch it out  let me know and I'll ship ya a pc, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 04:28:24 am »
Great, classy bow! Very nice
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 05:08:28 am »
WOW - it looks a lot different than the last time I saw it  ;). Nicely done My Friend, the tips look spot on. No Money Shot ?????????? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 05:52:37 am »
Great bow, nothing else to say! :)

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 06:56:05 am »
Looks like a Grumley to me, and a damned fine one too. You do beautiful work, sir.
rich

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 07:27:57 am »
Beautiful bow Matt,very nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 07:45:16 am »
nice job Matt! glad to see you posting more work up

Offline Will H

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 08:12:44 am »
That is awesome! I hope you bring that to the classic, I'd like to see that in person :)  :o
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 09:20:10 am »
Drums:  Thank you.  Your statics were part of the motivation
Jon:  Thank you and yes, I don't make many loooong bows.  It was fun.
PatM:  Thank you.
PatB:  Thank you, Pat!  It was a challenge.
Bubby:  I'll take you up on that Burgundy offer!
Simson: Thank you, sir.
Bob:  Thank you, brother.
Andrew:  Thanks
Rich:  Thanks Rich.  A compliment from you is always nice.
Pappy: Thanks Mark.  I'll bring it to the Classic.
Paul:  Thanks!  Hope all is well with you.
Will:  I'll bring it.  Thank you, sir.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 09:24:50 am »
Awesome bow Mr. Matt, the length surprised me  ;) but your top notch work didn't!  Hope the family is well!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan