Author Topic: roughing out bows with an ax/hatchet  (Read 16048 times)

Grasshopper Mouse

Re: roughing out bows with an ax/hatchet
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 10:34:45 pm »
I grew up using hatchets and axes in my work.I thought i knew what a great ax or hatchet was,untill i got a Gransfors Bruks.

Dude, you're a farrier! I hope you're talking about some kind of work from before you became a farrier.
 :o

Guy

Offline Traxx

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 09:45:50 pm »
Actually,
I have used a hatchet to remove excess hoof in extreme post founder cases,on draft horses.A hammer and chisel is also used in some cases.

I began using a hatchet and Ax,at about age 7.Didnt start trimming and shoeing horses untill about age 14.A hatchet and Ax,were used in a lot of jobs,on a remote ranch that wasnt on Grid untill i was much older.Grandad didnt  have a generator or a power wood splitter untill i was an adult and he didnt believe in using the fuel in a chainsaw,unless necessary

Much different time then.People would have a Conniption,nowdays seeing a 7 year old using a sharp ax to split wood.Probly have their kids taken by CPS er something.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 10:08:03 pm »
Damn Gils that thing is right out of a horr movie!  Remind me not to piss you off.   ;)  I just use a small hand axe from Home Depot (12-14'' handle).  Works well but your forearms take a beating. 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 11:38:47 pm »
Does anyone use an adze? I'm guessing the only difference is turning the bow 90 degrees.

ive got a few in the works. a D and and Elbow. very useful tools.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 11:59:02 pm »
You don't need a bandsaw unless you plan on making laminated bows. The design of a good carpenter axe is hard to beat because it allows you grip the tool near the center of mass which, with practice, give you precise control over your cuts.
Gordon

Offline dwardo

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 07:38:26 am »
I like to work as much as possible with an axe or hatchet. As has been mentioned the GB Swedish carving axe is very good. I personally prefer the mini hatchet, not every ones cup of  tea as its so small, I just like it. That said amazing tools can be made for a couple of ponds if you can find a nice old axe head and re haft it.

Go for a head about 600grams anything over a kilo tiers the arm unnecessarily.

Cant believe you chose your hatchet over that lovely granny carving axe. I used a friends up at the woods recently and it was an absolute joy to use. Soon as I can justify the cash one will be mine!

Like Dell though I am longing for a bandsaw. Simply due to tennis elbow. Drawknifing and scraping doesnt tend to upset it as much but swinging an axe is pure pain.

Offline Marks

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 11:08:51 am »
Both bows I've worked on I used wedges and sledge hammer to split into staves and then nothing but a draw knife from that point on. Takes a little time but it worked.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 11:53:00 am »

Picked this up at the thrift store. It is a "PLUMB" brand. Figure I'll re haft it and smooth down the handle when it gets warmer out.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 03:28:22 pm »
Does anyone use an adze? I'm guessing the only difference is turning the bow 90 degrees.

Mine has become known as a bow adz .
There is a waiting list to get one made at the smithy who did it for me!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 11:38:32 pm »
I've used lots of different hatchets, but I prefer roofing hatchets that I picked up at garage sales for a couple of bucks each.            Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 11:45:20 pm »
Our local chainsaw shop sells Husquvarna axes and hatchets. quality tools. About 60 bucks for either.

I got a Husqvarna hatchet this summer.  It is much heavier than I anticipated, but pure quality thru and thru.  I won't be wearing this one out in my lifetime!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.