Author Topic: roughing out bows with an ax/hatchet  (Read 16050 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: roughing out bows with an ax/hatchet
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 03:56:28 am »
Axe is great especially on the softer woods like Yew or Hazel. When you are old and bald with tennis elbow you can have a bandsaw then ;)
Get an axe made from decent steel (I went for a Bahco one, which is Swedish steel) Most imortant learn how to sharpen it well.
You want a weight that suits you, I'd advise against going too heavy*.
IMO. If it looks like shiny chrome or has a rubber grip... don't buy it ;D
Del
* If you need heavy, maybe JW will lend you his shovel >:D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 06:32:05 am »
As has been said Gransfor Bucks axes are simply superb.
Seriously I also thought I knew what a quality axe was until I used one of these
Link removed cos I was unintentionally breaking the rules.....Gransfors bucks website - I recommend a google!
Just have a look around that website.....drool drool  ;) Proper tools and worth every single penny/cent. I have given mine some serious stick, have only sharpened it once and it still pings fine hairs off my arm. Awesome piece of kit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:36:21 am by mikekeswick »

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 08:00:16 am »
I like to work as much as possible with an axe or hatchet. As has been mentioned the GB Swedish carving axe is very good. I personally prefer the mini hatchet, not every ones cup of  tea as its so small, I just like it. That said amazing tools can be made for a couple of ponds if you can find a nice old axe head and re haft it.

Go for a head about 600grams anything over a kilo tiers the arm unnecessarily.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 08:48:25 am »
Ooooh they are pretty... you got me wanting to re-haft my maky old heavy axe now :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 08:59:15 am »
Our local chainsaw shop sells Husquvarna axes and hatchets. quality tools. About 60 bucks for either.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 01:18:10 pm »
Some nice work there Nathan.
I completely agree if you can find an old axe it's very likely to be worth the effort to clean it up.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 01:54:24 pm »
I use a draw knife to rough out the bow. Then a rasp. I'm not very accurate when it comes to chopping
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline 4dog

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 02:36:28 pm »
man nathan..thems some purdy choppers...obe of em really caught my eye...3rd in from the left bottom...like it!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 02:52:36 pm »
I'm not an expert bowmaker but I've done many woodworks
As a general rule i prefere a short kind of machete to do the roughing.
I found it more precise and less tiring for my arm/hand
I mainly like the fact that i can hit very close to the hand being powerful and precise at the same time. with an axe/hatchet is more difficult
Something like the one in the picure with enough mass and quite short and with a hand slip stop

Don Case

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 03:25:31 pm »
Does anyone use an adze? I'm guessing the only difference is turning the bow 90 degrees.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 05:06:45 pm »
i use this...found it under a house i was working on.

Ha, I found one of mine in the middle of the woods stuck in a tree!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline DavidV

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 08:29:48 pm »
These are literally all the tools I've used for the past few bows I built.

The machete does the roughing and a lot of the scraping since my vice is on loan, and honestly I like not using the vice.

Huisme- I think I have the same drawknife. Do you have trouble keeping an edge on it? I sharpen it with a white Arkansas stone and it stays keen for a little while then it gets to a point where I can't shave even the straightest grained wood. also I work with the bevel down because it's so wide.
Springfield, MO

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:45 pm »
These are literally all the tools I've used for the past few bows I built.

The machete does the roughing and a lot of the scraping since my vice is on loan, and honestly I like not using the vice.

Huisme- I think I have the same drawknife. Do you have trouble keeping an edge on it? I sharpen it with a white Arkansas stone and it stays keen for a little while then it gets to a point where I can't shave even the straightest grained wood. also I work with the bevel down because it's so wide.

I have the same draw knife and mine doesn't hold an edge long especially on Osage but at the same time it's super easy to sharpen it so I still enjoy using it
I like osage

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 10:14:38 pm »
Our local chainsaw shop sells Husquvarna axes and hatchets. quality tools. About 60 bucks for either.

The Husquvarna axes have been getting good reviews on other forums that I frequent. The are made by Hultafors in Sweden. Also, of note, they make a carpenter's axe that has gotten good reviews and looks promising.

I am the in the process of restoring an old hewing hatchet. Flat on one side and bevelled on the other. It is of quality steel but is requiring quite a bit of work to get the edge back in order.  The to carve a handle and hang it. I look foward to seeing how it compares to the Gransfors carving axe.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 10:20:46 pm »
Does anyone use an adze? I'm guessing the only difference is turning the bow 90 degrees.

I don't see why a adze with a straight bit wouldn't do fine job. Should even be able to work the fade area with it too.  Great, now I have to buy another tool to try LOL.  That really does seem like a good idea, worthy of exploration.  I have been looking at the curved adzes for bowl making anyways.   They are EXPENSIVE. Some of the curved ones i been looking at are around $300 apiece.