Author Topic: hey 1911 45 owners i need help(new pic added)  (Read 9652 times)

Offline seabass

hey 1911 45 owners i need help(new pic added)
« on: January 12, 2014, 09:13:31 pm »
hey guys,i am buying a new 45 this week.i have been looking at Kimbers,colts and Sigs.i am leaning towards a Sig scorpion.actually,i am stuck between Kimber and Sig.any imput would be helpful.i have never owned a 1911 and want to make the right decision.i am not a rich man and this is a big decision for me.i have saved for a long time for this.i trust you guys and want a honest opinion.thanks.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:36:53 pm by seabass »
Middletown,Ohio

Offline jeffhalfrack

Re: hey 1911 45 owners i need help
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:25:16 pm »
You have good taste!  I like the kimber most they make parts that just drop in tight fit just good stuff  but  that can be said for the others on your list good luck  JeffW

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:37:01 pm »
Thanks Jeff.i am having a real hard time between Kimber and Sig.they are all great pistols.the Sig fits my hand like a dream,but so does the Kimber .whats a guy to do?
Middletown,Ohio

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:59 pm »
Carried a couple for better than 16 years....but I'm old and only had one choice. I went with 1911 A-1 with a flat mainspring housing. They were single stack and everything hand fit. I preferred the "long" hammer. My "Sammy's" never let me down, ever. PS: when they became available I did give @ one a Wolf spring kit and a 18# recoil spring. (shot hot full patch ball)

Don't know the state of new Colts, for the old styles I really like my Colt and my Remington. By the way, both are full size "government" models, some of my buds on the department preferred the Colt Combat Commander and later the Officers Model.
rich

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:27:48 pm »
i own a ATI brand 1911 and i love it its shoots just as good as my friends colt mine is the GI model no frills
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:32:26 pm »
thanks for your imput Rich.i really like those colts.i have the chance to buy a colt from a guy at work.it is a 1911 made in 1913 that has property of the united states marines stamped on the side.i haven't looked at it yet,but he wants 1500 dallors for it..like I said,i am not rich.i am a fan of the flat mainspring housing.i also buy a wolf spring kit for most of my pistols.i just bought one for my pa 63 feg.made it more pleasant to shoot.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 10:35:08 pm »
Sterling,i looked at a few ati pistols tonite.i don't know much about them.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline DLH

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:40:22 pm »
I think the sigs have an external extractor if that matters I think they deviated from the original design of the 1911. Some people want a 1911 that's designed exactly like the original 1911 down to a t but I'm sure they are still a great gun. I have been looking to get a 1911 too and can't decide what to get either. Does the pa 63 feg shoot the 9x18?

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 11:04:10 pm »
id recommend looking in to  the ATI brand if you cant afford the big names iv had mine for two years now and have had no issues and they make a few different models i can post pics if you like i think i paid 460$ for mine a few years ago
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Brock

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 12:12:50 am »
Grew up shooting Colt and Springfield 1911A1 pistols as father is retired Marine...owned a couple myself as well since then as adult.  That being said it was typically not to get a good, reliable, accurate slabside without spending some money.  Kimber upped that game and forced the others to start also offering weapons that were already worked on for better triggers, polishing feed ramp, working on extractors, quicker hammers, better buffer springs especially for +P ammo and better sights and ergonomics.

If I was in the hunt for a good solid accurate and carry capable 1911 styled weapon I think you have it right going with Kimber or SIG.  A couple points though....

The Kimber is pretty much a true 1911....parts are interchangeable but it is more refined but also a little more expensive up front than the old workhorses...though the fit and finish is outstanding with a lot of models and sizes to choose from.  You cant go wrong with a Kimber especially one of they worked over Carry models.

The SIG is an outstanding 1911 styled weapon but they have changed a couple things and added a couple changes of their own as well...so while most of the parts will interchange with a Colt or Springfield...not all of them will.  That being said it is a VERY accurate weapon.

If you are a SIG guy like I am (P220, P239, P226, SIG556, etc) then would likely go with SIG...as having one that is true to the 1911 in every way is not my concern.

If you want the best out of the box consumer level 1911 pistol for reliability, accuracy, form and finish...I would have to recommend the Kimber to be honest.  I love the SIG but the Kimber is a fine weapon without breaking the bank and without any modifications as all the custom work is done BEFORE you get it....  My 2 cents...

Then I would spend a lot of time with an empty weapon getting used to the external safety on the SA only weapon and carrying cocked and locked if using for carry defense.

Congrats on choosing a workhorse and very good weapon.....

Offline Lemos

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 12:41:26 am »
I just got a sig nightmare fastback this weekend. I looked for several months and at several styles and the sig won me over.  Now it's true it's not an exact 1911 but that wasn't a priority for me, I was looking for a good tough reliable carry gun and a lot of the folks I talked to at local gun shops and ranges said Kimbers  were nice but that due to their tight tolerances that they could be finicky once dirty. A lot of them said there'd trade their Kimber for a sig if offered. The price was right for me also, 1000 for a sig or 1300 for a kimber.  I have yet to shoot my sig but the ones I shot before we're awesome and the one kimber I shot was good too, but there's a reason the military and law enforcement use sigs

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 03:55:14 am »
I have had several 1911's, and have more than one now. ..  :)

Of the options you listed I'd go with the Kimber...

Your Co worker's Colt is a Collector Piece.
I would avoid this piece for Shooting  or Carry...
But would Love to Collect it.

Just my two cents...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 05:39:16 am »
Sea Bass - Of the guns mentioned, I'd go with the Kimber. Have You had Your hands on a Springfield 1911 ? I've been a 1911 Guy for years. My daily carry piece is a Wilson, but also have a Springfield that runs a close second. My take, is the Springfields are the best bang for the Buck of the "production" 1911's out there bar none - affordable & reliable ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:18 am »
I'll throw this out there as food for thought.  Love the 1911, but my favorite 45 ACP is the S&W 4506.  I like the DA/SA on it.  It's all steel so it's heavy but it can take a pounding and is reliable.  Feeds any ammo I put thru it, felt recoil is less and very accurate.  Because of it's size, and not being one of the new polymers, it is out of vogue and can be had pretty cheap right now.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Robby101

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 11:45:32 am »
SIG, Better ergonomics and you can't beat the de-cocker DA/SA feature for safety. Rugged and reliable.
Colt 1911, time tested rugged and reliable, never felt comfortable carrying cocked and locked. Can't overlook the sentimentality of that configuration, but for a new to gun type shooter, the SIG will be easier to get good with. Everyone is different, so if you have the chance to run a magazine through the choices you have narrowed down to , TAKE IT! Then you'll have a better idea what fits you.
Robby