Author Topic: hey 1911 45 owners i need help(new pic added)  (Read 9649 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: hey 1911 45 owners i need help
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 01:40:51 pm »
Only one way to carry a 1911 - Cocked-Locked and ready to ROCK  ;) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: >:D! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 02:09:59 pm »
 8) I carry every day. I carry a Springfield v-10 1911 and will never go back. i have several 1911s but my choice is the Springfield. it not a full size its same frame as the colt commander. My wife also carries and she carrier a Kimber also a shorty but she can shoot it one handed effectively. no matter which one you get if you intend to shoot hollow points in it get a good gun smith to ramp the feed.

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline Stoker

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 03:14:02 pm »
Don't matter which one you get... It's new holster you build fir it... Will be beautiful...... ;)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline seabass

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 04:16:42 pm »
first off,thank you guys for giving some great advice.i will one day own a colt,Kimber and a Sig.i can,t afford a Wilson,Ed Brown,Les Baeur or a Nighthawk.i shot an Ed Brown and fell in love with it.it was 2800 dollars.way out of my league.i will be spending a grand on mine.i have many guns that I carry concealed,this one is just for the range.i'll be sure to post the one I choose.thank you again for all your advice.btw Daniel,my pa 63 feg is a 9x18.great little gun for the price.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 06:59:02 pm »
Don't overlook the Springfield and Colt. Hard to beat the originals, and the Springers especially don't come with that inflated Kimber price tag. I had a Springfield 1911A1 GI model, and loved it. Unfortunately, some methhead who broke my door down while I was at work loved it even more. I have also heard a lot of good things about the Ruger 1911s.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 07:01:48 pm »
I may be a little late chiming in on this but here's my 2 cents. All 3 are excellent guns. I have a colt series 70 government, and I love it. I've shot the Kimber but not the sig. But I gotta say that my colt just had that feel to it when I put it in my hand, and I'm accurate with it. But most of all, it will eat any bullet I put in it!! During the recent ammo shortage I was buying anything I could get my hands on; reloads, even the cheapo Russian wolf ammo; it liked all of it. Never a single failure. Mine had a polished feed ramp when I bought it. What decided for me was a buddy had a colt and he let me shoot his before I bought mine. He dug this thing out of the bottom of his collection and I swear it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in forever; it shot everything we put through it that day. I don't recommend not cleaning your gun by no means, just saying that the colt ain't picky.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »
Wanted to add this. If you buy one of the older used guns, do not shoot the +P ammo through it. I cracked the guide rod bushing on mine from +P. Cheap and easy to replace though. Funny thing was it still shot several mags afterwards. I didn't know it was cracked until I took it apart for cleaning one day. I was lucky to not have caused more damage.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline seabass

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 08:30:27 pm »
Hillbilly,i am going to get a colt at a later date.i am a colt fan.i have to have a colt,they started It all.Stick,that stuff about +p ammo is good to know.thanks guys.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Brock

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 09:07:25 pm »
I'll throw this out there as food for thought.  Love the 1911, but my favorite 45 ACP is the S&W 4506.  I like the DA/SA on it.  It's all steel so it's heavy but it can take a pounding and is reliable.  Feeds any ammo I put thru it, felt recoil is less and very accurate.  Because of it's size, and not being one of the new polymers, it is out of vogue and can be had pretty cheap right now.

if we are throwing things out there...LOL.  My SIG P220, no rail, early 90s build date is the best .45acp I have ever fired...and have owned and or shot Colt, Colt Commander, Colt Gold Cup, Springfield 1911A1, Remington 1911, Kimber, and Auto Ordnance 1911...not prettiest...not best trigger...not MOST accurate but was and is the best all around .45acp I have ever fired or owned.

Offline seabass

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 09:54:23 pm »
Brock,i have a new smith and Wesson mp 45.i am really liking it even though it is polymer framed.i liked how it fits my hand.was going to get a glock,but It felt like a brick in my hand.lol
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 11:14:16 pm »
Glad you gave up on the Block and went with the 1911 style. 

Nobody has mentioned the Taurus. Once upon a time you would have had to put $300 in aftermarket parts and $200 in gunsmith fees to get a Taurus to work tolerably, but they were bought out by Magnum Research and the quality has gone up quite a bit.  I have one with almost no trigger creep and it breaks like glass.  I have been told with a little adjusting, that creep is gone, too.  I have fedd this thing round ball ammo and several different hollow points, including one so extreme that the round looked like a wastepaper basket!  No feed problems at all. 

I couldn't go even the price of the low end Kimbers or the Sig's and asked several old timers at First Stop here in Rapid City.  They were patient with me over the course of a year and even held back the Taurus I eventually bought because the trigger pull was the best they had come across in a long time.  They universally were luke warm on the Remington 1911's, saying they all had poor trigger action.

I also went with the Blackhawk paddle type holster with the "lock".  I love the way it indexes my trigger finger to safe position in order to draw the weapon! 

All in all, if it is a 1911, I still like it.  The history, the design, the fit to my hand, etc...and best of all, the .45 is authoritative.  And the sound of the action being racked translates into all known languages clearly. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 01:02:25 am »
Ahh yes the Taurus, I've got their pt745 not a bad little 45 but mine needed tweaking to the magazines and catch. It would drop the mags during firing or if you grabbed the bottom of the mag and twisted side to side it would drop. Still voting sig😉

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 02:46:57 am »
I repaired hundreds of M1911A1s in the army. They must have been decades old and still worked fine. Wasn't impressed with the M9. You can't go wrong with Springfield Armory. They're made by Imbel, the Brazilian military arms manufacturer. That said, I have a Sig P220.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 02:06:09 pm »
I had shot colts forever and then got a Sig. It was very accurate and smooth but the grip didn't feel right. Sold it and got a Para-Ord,double action 1911. I couldn't get used to the long trigger pool so sold it,too. I ended up with a Kimber double stack with a small hand grip for a D-S.

Chris Cade's gunsmith reworked it for me and it is the fastest,smoothest 1911 I've ever owned. He said there are a few issues with Kimber that need to be fixed by a real gunsmith though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 03:58:01 pm »
if you have a store close to you go and hold as many as you can so you can see what feels best in your hand. im sticking with my ATI "amarican tactical imports"  brand id put it against any big name that's out there. even my friend that has a colt was impressed with how it shot and handled. one thing id do if i was you is to invest in some good mags i buy chip McCormick mags they have a good hefty spring and are very reliable. the cheaper stock mags and just cheaper mags they sell at the big stores  springs tend to weaken and your last round or two will not feed at all
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995