Author Topic: Blown out/kicked my butt/re done HHB (finished bottom of page 2)  (Read 8610 times)

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
Re: How's my tiller now?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 09:24:30 pm »
Looks to me like the left limb is still flat just outside the fade to mid limb - but asymmetrical bows play with my eyes too.  BTW how much shorter is the left limb?  In the last pic it looks considerably shorter.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline DuBois

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 10:25:33 pm »
Looks to me like the left limb is still flat just outside the fade to mid limb - but asymmetrical bows play with my eyes too.  BTW how much shorter is the left limb?  In the last pic it looks considerably shorter.
That brings me to a question I forgot earlier.

The limbs are same length but I have the bow off center cause that is where my hand will grip it. Is that a good idea or should I put it dead center on the tree and then just find the arrow pass after tillering?

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 10:42:40 pm »
I generally grip in the middle of the handle (bow with a symmetrical).  The arrow pass would of course be above that.  Some tiller by pulling on the string where the arrow will actually be nocked and the fingers placed on the string - which would be above center.  Others tiller by just pulling at the center.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 04:22:27 am »
If you tiller everything centrally the lower limb will end up weak sure as eggs is eggs! Pull it the same way as when you will be shooting it.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 08:08:37 am »
What Mike said is the way I do it,and yes to the question on the scale,I have one like that and if you hang it off the string I set my scale at 4lbs.before I start,that is the weight of my scale.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DuBois

Re: How's my tiller now? new pics
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »

40# at 15"

shortened the long string to just long enough to string with no tension and just about ready for bracing. What you think?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 04:15:29 pm »
Lefty is about 10# too heavy. Use a straight edge doobs. Run it from fade to tip to find the largest gap, its easy to see. Mark and scrape/rasp those thinner gaps until you can run a straight edge from fade to tip and maintain the same gap. Its not a micro measurement your looking for, its evident and easy to see.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 05:48:08 pm »
Will do PD, thanks.

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 06:41:30 pm »
like chris said use a straight edge, the left isn't moving inside third at all to me
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2014, 07:38:26 pm »
If that bow was mine, I'd ditch the lever tips and get all of both limbs and the handle bending. Otherwise, it might break outright or take horrible set. JMHO.  :)

Offline DuBois

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »
If that bow was mine, I'd ditch the lever tips and get all of both limbs and the handle bending. Otherwise, it might break outright or take horrible set. JMHO.  :)
What you other fellas think? Should I take the bend farther into the tips? I have enough width to go probably 3-4" on each farther. I'm open to suggestion.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 07:55:54 pm »
Yup. Id leave 5-6" stiff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 08:02:43 pm »
Still not enough at the handle.  It may look like it's working there but it's not.  Also the left limb just outside the handle could work a bit more
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DuBois

Re: Blown out/kicked my butt/re done HHB
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 04:56:12 pm »
Got it too weak in outer limb and n my wisdom decided to just pull it until it gave...not a smart idea at all.

I had wrapped rawhide about 3" from tips and that held together but snapped clean off. I don't know if it was the wood still in the string or if I just got whipped in the gut by the string but it crossed my eyes for a second either way.

Had some maple tips with osage underlays that I screwed up from an attempt at a horn bow in the past that never got posted. I modified these for wrap on siyahs/extensions and put them on with epoxy and dust then added another layer of moose sinew up onto siyahs a bit, then wrapped up with sinew and rawhide.

70 at 25" Not sure  am getting it all in the FD. Fake sinew string.
Rat snake (first skin) and it has some cracks in finish  :'( I posted this in my other posting.
dyed rawhide grip.

WTH is wrong with me??? >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:27:58 pm by DuBois »

Offline half eye

Re: Blown out/kicked my butt/re done HHB
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:32 pm »
You have a real nice shorty there.....but take a good look at your full draw and you can see that you are not using any of the middle third of it Marco. If you carefully scrape the middle down.....just a very little at a time the bend will "creep" toward the center and give you more draw, not very much loss in draw weight and a more circular tiller. You dont have to go full circle but you could definitely get more bow out of that stick, sir
rich