Author Topic: Blown out/kicked my butt/re done HHB (finished bottom of page 2)  (Read 8607 times)

Offline DuBois

55" HHB with 3 layers sinew in strip down center. Bendy handle. Asymetrical limb profiles as you can see.

I got motivated and rearranged the basement for a tiller set up on the wall and here's what I got so far on tiller.

No weight side profile with chalk outline.

last pic is about 10" and 35#

What you all think?
And thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 08:10:55 pm by DuBois »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Where's the guys with the eyes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 08:00:36 pm »
If it was me I would get the handle to work a bit with such a short bow, it doesn't look like it's working at all there
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 08:07:24 pm »
Yeah, with those levers thats got to be a shorty.  Find your arc!
1’—>1’

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »
I agree with Mark but am working on one now and am trying to bring the handle in slowly. Your handle area looks to be narrower so it will have to remain a tad deeper than the limbs and fades.
Grant you that is only my opinion and there is more knowledge here than mine. I'm trying to get mine to bend late in my 28 1/2" draw.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DuBois

Re: How's my tiller please?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:11:10 am »
Marc, Parnell, and Fred. Thanks for the input. I agree that the handle is gonna need to bend more. I am just a little hesitant to go there too soon and have horrible set. I kinda like Freds idea of going to that later in the tiller, (and I'm a chicken). I made some progress today and just want some other eyes on it again. Hope to have first brace tomorrow.
Thanks, Marco

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:37:25 am »
In my opion you don't have the length to leave the center stiff (even just for now).
It looks like the start of a hinge just inbound of the left 'lever'. Your handle area is way thick at the moment that's why your midlimbs are bending too much. You really need to loosen up the middle or else you will get that horrible set you talked about!

Offline BL

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 04:58:28 am »
Also the bow looks like it's rocking a bit on the tree when drawn.  The limb on the right is bending more than the left overall but it doesn't show as much from the chalk line due to the slant.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 10:41:25 am »
In my opion you don't have the length to leave the center stiff (even just for now).
It looks like the start of a hinge just inbound of the left 'lever'. Your handle area is way thick at the moment that's why your midlimbs are bending too much. You really need to loosen up the middle or else you will get that horrible set you talked about!
Thanks Mike, that makes sense. I will get the handle moving today and watch that hinge area closely.

Also the bow looks like it's rocking a bit on the tree when drawn.  The limb on the right is bending more than the left overall but it doesn't show as much from the chalk line due to the slant.
It looks weird but it's not rocking, just non symmetrical limbs causing the handle to sit un-level when the tips are level with each other. My heat straightening was not so successful  ::)

Offline rps3

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 11:16:33 am »
I like the chalk outline idea to remind you of the original limb profile, sometimes it is hard to keep that mental picture in your head as the bow is being drawn.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 01:59:51 pm »
It's probably too late but if it's possible I'de shorten the levers some. You don't have much wood to work with with the levers and the stiff handle.
Also it looks like you are getting  close to hinging that right limb right behind the lever.

I agree with Marc, also. I think you will have to get that middle moving some. It's gonna be tough unless you are patient to get a 28.5" draw without a few inches of set the way it's going.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 02:34:34 pm »
It's probably too late but if it's possible I'de shorten the levers some. You don't have much wood to work with with the levers and the stiff handle.
Also it looks like you are getting  close to hinging that right limb right behind the lever.

I agree with Marc, also. I think you will have to get that middle moving some. It's gonna be tough unless you are patient to get a 28.5" draw without a few inches of set the way it's going.
Thanks Eddie, You recognize that beast of a scale? I'll watch that hinge area you are seein'
I been working on it today and the handle is starting to move a tiny bit. I'll post more pics later.
I am thinking 27" draw on this.
I like the chalk outline idea to remind you of the original limb profile, sometimes it is hard to keep that mental picture in your head as the bow is being drawn.
Thanks, I started with a sharpie on the tip area for reference and thought I would use a pencil for the rest but couldn't see it. Kids had some nice new chalk  ;D

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »
It's a good start! Get them inners workin:)
Don't forget to subtract the weight of your 10lb scale ;D
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 04:03:15 pm »
It's a good start! Get them inners workin:)
Don't forget to subtract the weight of your 10lb scale ;D

Wouldn't you have to add the weight of the scale?
Steve Bennett

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 04:55:56 pm »
Doobs if that's all your bending it? You should still be on the floor with it. Unless those tips can safely move 8-12" with a long (er) string on a tree, keep eyeing down your leg on the floor.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 07:31:49 pm »
 I put the new pic with the older ones for reference. Got her bending a little more now. Thinking I'm getting close to good bends but any suggestions are welcome.

Doobs if that's all your bending it? You should still be on the floor with it. Unless those tips can safely move 8-12" with a long (er) string on a tree, keep eyeing down your leg on the floor.
Thanks Mr. Pearlie
I'm still figuring out when to go to a string vs floor.