Author Topic: Tiller Check  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Gaust

Tiller Check
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:08:25 pm »
Simple flatbow using a Hackberry stave, from tree cut 10/27/13, 70" ntn, 1 3/4" at fades at to mid-limb, then tapered to 1/2".  It's bending a little through the handle.  Shooting for 45# @ 28".  Fixing to full brace it and shoot it in.  Comments welcomed. 

Don Case

Re: Tiller Check
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:14:18 pm »
You've got a tree in your workshop????!!!!! Oh, not that kind of comment >:D. The bow looks good to my beginner eyes.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:29:04 pm »
  Are you sure it's dry? Your shop is so clean it makes me nervous... Looking good
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:43 pm »
I'd definitely low brace at this point, you have plenty of tip movement. All your bend is currently coming from the inner third of your limbs. The tips will come around some at low brace, but I would definitely work on getting a bit more bend in mid-to outer limb area.

Jon

Offline Gaust

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:53:14 pm »
Jon, I see your point and I agree.  This is a big bow, unbacked, and the limbs seem heavy. 
Need to find a way to lighten them up.  I want to toast the belly at the end, but now I want to make sure I have the right design.  I have thought about shortening it to 68".  What do you think?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 06:00:26 pm »
Id let it dry much longer especially being hackberry don't rush it .... But hey it's up to you
I like osage

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 06:17:58 pm »
Id let it dry much longer especially being hackberry don't rush it .... But hey it's up to you

Good point, didn't catch that. If it feels heavy, It's probably much to wet. Did you quick dry it?

Jon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 06:19:50 pm »
Depending on his location and how it was handled, its quite possible to build a perfectly dry bow by now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 06:29:14 pm »
It's been indoors in 65 to 74 degree temps at 35% average RH since mid-November when I roughed it to size.  I wonder......?   Pearl, is it to big a design for hackberry?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:57:12 pm »
I'd temper it now.  If it takes any set after that, leave it a while.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:41:17 pm »
Slimbob, as suggested, I just tempered it.  I'll let it set a while before I touch it again.  I'm really thinking about cutting the limb length down a few inches.  Hackberry, I've been told,  ends up being thicker than hickory for the same length and draw weight.  That leads to some heavy limbs.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 04:59:22 am »
No matter what wood you use the 'same bow' eg. say 50#@28 should weigh the same eg. so many ounces. whether it's made from lignum vitae or hackberry or as or anything else. The length of your bow is NOT an issue the reason it feels heavy is that it isn't bending correctly to my eyes. You have too much bend inner limb and not enough from mid limb out to the tips.
I would strongly recommend reading all of the bowyers bibles. Especially vol 4

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 08:10:23 am »
I agree with Mike, too much bend inboard, but 70 inches is long.  Not "too long", but longer than needed at those dimensions IMO.  I would think you can shorten it if you wish.  I would get the tiller right on it first.  I let my freshly tempered bows sit overnight and then right back on it the next day.  Love tempered Hackberry.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 11:07:06 am »
Mike, thanks,  I have three volumes but not the fourth.  I will certainly get that one, too.  I'll correct the tiller and will see if this wood reacts appropriately.  I have a vested interest in making this particular bow succeed.  I named this bow 'Ellie' after my first granddaughter, so it's special.  Plus it's my first self-bow.

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 11:18:57 am »
Good advice so far. Get it low braced, get the outer limb and tips moving, and get rid of that tiller stick! Set up a vertical tiller tree with an inline scale.