Author Topic: Intro Myself  (Read 7203 times)

Offline timber wolfe

Intro Myself
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:47:45 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to bow-building.  Live in Port Alberni, Vancouver Island, British Columbia.  Would like to hear from bowyers in the Pacific Northwest as to what native woods I could use or find, other than Pacific yew.  Has anybody ever used wild cherry?  This forum is great ...getting lots of inspiration from bows built by Pappy and the hazelnut bow build-along by Gordon, and also Gordon's vine maple bow.  Ordered The Traditional Bowyers Bible Volume 1,2 and 3.  Could somebody give me some other suggestions for reading materials for building self-longbows?  Thanks and straight shooting!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Intro Myself
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:54:55 pm »
Theirs lot's of info out there but the BB's aught to tell ya everything you need to know - killiin trees and makin shavin's are the best teacher. Have to ask about your call sign there, cause my name is spelled the same - is that your name? Wolfe? Welcome aboard - these guys pass along tons of info......
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:06:33 pm »
welcome!!!
isnt there vine maple out there?white oak/red oak?
ironwood too?
sugarmaple, just some suggestions.
jamie

brian melton

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:13:41 pm »

Dogwood (flowering), vine maple, ocean spray, bigleaf maple, cascara...to name a few...

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 01:11:36 am »
Brian,
Have you ever made a bow with our Oregon White Oak?
Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

brian melton

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 01:27:53 am »
Keith,

No, I have not had access to cut the trees as they grow in specific areas, and are not as wide spread as other species. I would suspect it would be a good bow wood, if you can keep the string follow down...oak tends to follow the string, a damn tough wood though!!

Nice osage bow by the way!!! ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 06:10:14 am »
Welcome Timber wolfe you will like it here,wished I could help with the wood thing
but I have no idea what yall have up there,I am sure there will be some chime in that
dose.That is what is so great about the board.As far as reading all you have mentioned
and of course PA magazine is a great source. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 06:37:18 am »
Welcome to PA. From what Ive heard allmost any tree that produces fruit or nuts you can make bows out of. And we have plenty of thoughs here in the NW. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 06:44:06 am »
Welcome to the best dang forum around timber wolfe. As others said TBB 1,2,3 and a subscription to PA are great sources of info.
Also Paul Comstock's The Bent Stick is good. Try this link for lots of great books and videos etc.
Glad ya joined us :)

http://www.horsefeathersranch.com/books.htm
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 09:16:14 am »
Welcome aboard. Jim Hamm's Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans is another good book. And Dean Torges' Hunting the Osage Bow. Those TBBs will get you started and a long ways down the road-they're probably the best all-around resource out there except for this forum.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 09:26:21 am »
Hillbillys choices are mine also,but would also recommend Billets to Bow by Glen St.Charles and the Flat Bow book,which I think Horsefeathers carries both so get them for Christmas!
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 03:06:10 pm »
Welcome, glad to have ya. You will realy like it here. Lots to learn and some great guys to share your passion with.Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 05:36:37 pm »
Would like to hear from bowyers in the Pacific Northwest as to what native woods I could use or find, other than Pacific yew.

Vine maple, vine maple, and vine maple. BTW, did I mention vine maple  ;D
Gordon

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 05:40:19 pm »
Does anyone have a photo of some Vine maple both in the wild and in stave form for us to see? I wouldn't mind seeing if we have any around here. I have heard all positive about the vine maple bows guys have made and would like to know what it looks like.Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 06:52:13 pm »
Danny,

Vine maple only grows naturally in the Pacific NW. It is unlikely you will find any in Kansas.
Gordon