Author Topic: Help  (Read 5674 times)

Offline blacktailcody

Help
« on: January 09, 2014, 09:21:12 pm »
I just bought mahogany and purple hart. Can I make a deicent bow? Can you walk me through making a laminated bow?  Thanks,  Cody

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:35:57 pm »
First of all, I see it's your first post. Welcome to PA!! Well lets start with, most mahoganys aren't the greatest choice of woods. From what I've been told most of them are no good at all. Lot's of other woods out there there are better, and even cheaper than mahogany. Have you made any other bows before? I'm sure others will chime in also. Probably a better place to start is the how to thread. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline blacktailcody

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 09:51:47 pm »
Thanks for the welcome. The type of mahogany is Sapele. The guy at the lumber yard said it was similar to hickory. IsIit even useable? And this is my first bow attempt.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:05:53 pm »
I'm not really sure about sapele to be honest. I've never used it. I just make it a habit to steer clear of mahogany in general. Maybe someone else has some experience with it. Hickory would be a way better wood, but there's so many good woods out there.

Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 11:24:57 pm »
I know more about trees than I do about making bows (which isn't saying much really :P)

Sapele is in the same family as mahogany, and somewhat similar apparently, but as far as I can tell it isn't a proper mahogany, but as has been mentioned, that is probably an advantage because mahogany isn't a very good bow wood.

Sapele looks like it might be much better as a bow wood. If you look at the density, elasticity and strength, it's about the same as hard maple. But then again woods within the same species can be very different depending on lots of factors.

I'd say it might not actually be too bad (given it isn't a proper mahogany if it's Sapele.)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 12:45:44 am »
That is a big question to answer. I recommend you order a copy of the bowyers bible volume 1, or better yet, 1 - 4, and start digging into those guys.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:54:48 am »
First off, welcome ! Now the guy at the lumber yard probably wasn't saying its similar to hickory in bow making
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 11:26:59 am »
My advice would be to steer well clear of that guys advice.....
Sapelle is NOTHING like hickory is any way!?  ::)
Purpleheart will work for a belly but it is a better core wood.
If you want to make a laminated bow then you need a good belly wood. Ipe is the obvious choice. Google 'ipe decking suppliers' to find some.
Then you need a good backing wood. Hickory, white oak, ash, bamboo are all very good. Again google will help you find something suitable. The most important thing is very straight grain.
You could use your purpleheart as a core wood.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 02:47:39 pm »
I agree with Mike....I have a garage floor full of the stuff, (SAPALE) maybe good for cabinets, handle build ups, and maybe a power lam, but that's it in my opinion.

VMB
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:50:48 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline blacktailcody

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 03:32:41 pm »
So would it be possible to make a scotch broom bow backed with purple-heart and a handle made out of sapele? If it is how would you go about building it?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 03:38:01 pm »
No. Mike gave a list of good backings. Two posts up.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline blacktailcody

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 03:48:15 pm »
So I could use purple heart as a belly for scotch broom? Or I could use bamboo as a scotch broom backing?

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 03:51:44 pm »
No. Mike gave a list of good backings. Two posts up.

+1. You've been given some great advice. Also, welcome!

Your question is very broad. and encompasses a vast amount of information. Entire books have been written on the subject of your question. I think you need to do some research, as toomanyknots has suggested.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 03:56:19 pm by adb »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 04:00:44 pm »
Then you need a good backing wood. Hickory, white oak, ash, bamboo are all very good.

This a is a good list of all the backing materials that matter. Yes, there are a few more. But these are rock solid proven backings. So no, scotchbroom isn't a good backing. Back your purple heart with one of the above woods.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 06:16:25 pm »
throw in hard maple as a backer, it works great
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹