Author Topic: How many trappers on here?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

How many trappers on here?
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:55:30 pm »
How many of us are trappers on here?  I'd like to see some trapping pictures and maybe pick up a few tips and tricks from some of the experienced guys.  I've just got back into the game somewhat after moving to Tennessee.  Two coons and a nice red fox so far.  Coyotes keep giving me the slip, and I am having problems keeping my traps from freezing up lately.  I have a few sets in some prime bobcat areas also, but have failed to connect.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: How many trappers on here?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 02:00:34 pm »
Some guys use peat moss,buckwheat hauls or anthill dirt. Make sure you have your traps adjusted good also.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 03:15:42 pm »
Just started using peat moss last nite on some sets.  Im using MB 550s with the Paws-I -Trip pan system with the night latched dog.  I also mixed up some 50/50 glycol-red fox urine to use as antifreeze, but haven't tried it yet. 

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 07:20:05 pm »
Use to do a lot of trapping - mostly coon, mink, muskrat.  Snared quite a few coyotes also.  Haven't trapped in several years - the best trapping around here falls during the same time as the best whitetail hunting.  Spend most of my free time chasing whitetails.  Good luck to ya!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 07:24:10 pm »
I use dry dirt I collect in the summer. I also put some trapper antifreeze I get from trapper supply catalogs. Usually I stop trapping the end of November so I dont see the real cold weather.

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:00 pm »
If the 50/50 doesn't work mix it heavier on the Glycol and then spritz the set down lightly with the fox urine. Works for me in Northern Nevada most of the time. Didn't get anything this season since I've have a bum knee but I'm already getting my traps tweaked and tuned for next season!
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 05:10:23 am »
Have been a water trapper off and on since I was a Kid (Muskrat/Mink/Coon) - never done the dryland  Coyote/Fox thing. Planned on hitting the 'Rats this year with the prices, but the early freeze-up screwed Me. Did play around with some Weasel Boxes last season - between Me & Wirwicki, We must have caught a million Field Mice & Voles - but no Weasels. Good luck on the line - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 07:54:15 am »
Thanks guys.  A wiley red fox keeps digging up my traps at this one particular dirt hole set.  I tried a double set last night, and this morning the trap in the back was thrown.  He got me again.  Any suggestions? ???

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 09:38:47 am »
Been trappin since i was little, use to hitch a ride in my granpa's packbasket.

I use waxed dirt mostly for my yote/fox sets here in MI due to the freeze/thaw moisture issue.

gotta love a educated fox, you'll have to make sure you got a good clean set in front of the dirty one he's flipping and force him to walk thru your clean set.....i'd make a big blown out dirt hole set at the dirty one he's flipping (like something got in there and tore it up) and use his curiousity against him!

We finally shook our super cold weather, so i'll be out after the mink this weekend!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 02:10:03 pm »
Thanks guys.  A wiley red fox keeps digging up my traps at this one particular dirt hole set.  I tried a double set last night, and this morning the trap in the back was thrown.  He got me again.  Any suggestions? ???
I have this problem often out in my neck of the woods. Like Blackcoyote suggested I'd probably go for making a false catch site and try to draw him in that way. Or with the coyote I had last year I used a lot more chaff and broken sharp twigs leading into the set, had one snapped dirty set out in the open with a clean set on either side of the ingress to the trap between sagebrush bushes on a game trail. Then I figured what the heck I'm going all out anyway and hung a snare on either side in case for some reason he went against instinct and came through the brush on the sides. Turns out he got caught up in one of the snares!

Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 03:43:17 pm »
I do a little... mainly water trapping.  I have some sets through the ice right now for beaver. 
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 04:50:29 pm »
I'm not a trapper but here is a tip I got from an old trapper for catching Wolves, should work on Coyotes.  Get some road kill and drag it into the bush where there's lots of small saplings then set snares all around it.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 05:24:06 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys.  I'm not whipped yet.  I'll get him if I have to set the whole field full!! ;D

Offline RyanR

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 10:54:22 pm »
You need to bed your trap more solidly. If it rocks they will notice. You actually need to pack dirt inside the jaws of the trap. The only thing that should move is the pan. I put a piece of wax paper about the size of the open jaws over the trap and then make a circle with your hands by putting your index fingers together and your thumbs together and then pack the dirt on top of the wax paper inside the trap jaws. It takes a little practice. You may catch your thumb if it closes on you but it really doesn't hurt. I hope this helps.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 10:40:57 am »
I used to do a lot of trapping, but haven't done any in several years. I miss it. I probably learned more about critters from trapping than anything else I've ever done.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.