Author Topic: One on one tutorial  (Read 4542 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

One on one tutorial
« on: January 08, 2014, 10:19:23 pm »
A young feller from Missouri kinda liked the looks of the bows in my stable and wanted to know if it would ever be possible for him to make his own.  48 hours later.....

Shaping the profile yesterday:

Chips fly!

Now today, working into the fades!

Concentration

The wood is hackberry that was given to me almost 2 years ago down in Burlington,IA by iowabow.  He should have the handle roughly shaped in tonite on his own.  Pretty soon we will be heat treating the handle to bend the tips into line and we can get started down the tillering path. 

Glenn shows a lot of patience and excellent tool control.  He also does not want to stop, once he's going he's laser focused.  He seems to intuitively understand what I am showing him, so I have no doubt he will be off and making his own stuff pretty darn soon.  We may have a new addict to induct!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: One on one tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:21:48 pm »
wow, thats pretty cool! one more is hooked!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 10:21:53 pm »
Oh, and he used to work at the World Bird Sanctuary in Missouri.  He's handled quite a few exotic and native raptors.  He's even worked with two raptors I used to take care of, Steinbeck -the barred owl, and Grax -the black vulture.

Hunting, bows, fishing, raptors...he's my mini-me, except he's about 3 inches taller. (I'm still the better looking)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:24:26 pm »
Hey very cool glad to see that wood becoming a bow. I remember that tree.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:27:55 pm »
Yeah, it's the one you got mad at and girdled.  Then it had the nerve to keep growing!  Bwaahahaha!   >:D

I sat on this stave because it was the best of the bunch.  I felt it had some really good mojo along with the attitude it gave you.  finally found the best use for it.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:43:15 pm »
Ugh... that's not fair!  >:D  He has someone to just show him how it's done.  Well, one day when I'm good enough to teach I'll instruct others.  I've been fortunate in many other ways so I guess it's all good.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:53:01 pm »
Great job JW.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 12:08:52 am »
Very nice - always nice to share with others!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 09:57:28 am »
Good stuff ,JW!

Primitivetim: You too are a lucky one, You have hundreds of guy to teach you , right here ;) ( And I saw what you found at the feed store!) Haha.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 10:14:24 am »
Cool post JW!
So few young people are intrested in this kinda stuff, when you find one, ya gotta help them out, pass on the blessings that we've all recieved from our primitive pursuits.
Can't wait to see how the bow turn's out

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 02:03:23 pm »
Way to go JW.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »
Primitivetim: You too are a lucky one, You have hundreds of guy to teach you , right here ;) ( And I saw what you found at the feed store!) Haha.
There was a time when I was just destroying good staves lol.  You are right though, I am very lucky/blessed.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 05:15:33 am »
Good on You Jdub ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 06:51:56 am »
Very cool JW,it is great when you get someone that seem's to get it.I am working with Dan a new member at the club,all I have to do is tell him what to do and maybe show him once and he just get's it. I was a little slower. ;) ;D ;D kind of had to beat it into me. :) Looking forward to seeing the finished product. By the way is that streamflyer ?
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 07:48:21 am »
Yeah he's already hooked no doubt. When you find a guy who just can't put the tools down once he's started you
know he's a goner, he'll never be the same anymore. Looks like you have a new bowyer friend for sure John and that bow is shaping up real nicely too. Nice JW. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.