Author Topic: Look what I pulled out of the dumpster Hehehe!  (Read 4273 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Look what I pulled out of the dumpster Hehehe!
« on: January 08, 2014, 04:07:12 pm »
Was at the feed store to pick up some hay for a target and one of the guys working there mentions that one of the peacocks that hung out around there died so they threw it in the dumpster.  peeked in and there he was in all his glory laying dead as a door nail.  I reached in a pulled him out.  He'll make some might pretty fletchings 

So sad the poor bird died  >:D

I like them tri color wings

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 05:39:40 pm by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline stickbender

Re: Looked what I pulled out of the dumpster Hehehe!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:37:44 pm »

You do indeed have some great fletching. :o 8)  The orange flight feathers are neat, as well as the barred ones.  The barbs from the tail feathers, are highly prized for fly tying.  As are the blue green, other colored breast, and back feathers.  Good find, and save!  Check around the feed store for other feathers from the other peacocks, and peahens. ;) 8)
You definitely have some trade material, for any of the members who fly fish, or make flies, or want exotic feathers for various projects. ;)  the back and breast feathers would make nice decorations for bows, arrows around the fletching, on possibles bags, quivers, on and on.  Limited only to your imagination. ;)  Of course you could always drag it into the kitchen, and tell who ever is in there, hey, look at the chicken I found down by the  nuclear plant....... ::)

Wayne

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »
can you say fly tying material.
holy smokes .

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:30:59 pm »
imagine those breast feathers backing a bow!!!!  holy bright eyes!!  wanna trade for em???
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Look what I pulled out of the dumpster Hehehe!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 05:40:27 pm »
Looks like I'll be skinning it too.... ugh yes, I'll trade I guess

Ok... I just went all Tarzan and tore off as many feathers as I could and put them in a bag.  I'm really not sure how I was supposed to do that but I'll trade them... so just PM me and address and I'll send them there.  The fletching feathers aren't for trade... yet?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:04:37 pm by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 06:40:17 pm »
That would make a beautiful feather backed bow.  Nice dumpster find.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 06:51:23 pm »

Tim, just make sure you washed your hands well.  You don't know what it died of. ;)  Wouldn't want you to get spotted lungs. :o :P  (Parrot fever)  Great find and great save. I told you, you would have some trade material! ;) :D 8)

Wayne

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:50 pm »
Those are some amazing feathers and birds.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline RyanR

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 07:37:52 pm »
One man's trash is another man's treasure. You are an official dumpster diver.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 07:56:31 pm »
Well the peacock I guess got ill from the cold snap we had so the owner shot it and the guys that work at the feed store tossed it in a dumpster. 

I'd like to mail out those little feathers tomorrow so someone needs to PM me an address. sold  traded to the first bidder!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:25:43 pm by PrimitiveTim »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 11:01:28 pm »
The best and finest use for peacocks is in the kitchen.  Ain't nothing but an overdressed and oversized pheasant with a penchant for screaming all bloody night long keeping nice people awake.

Nice find!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 11:02:37 pm »
Taste like chicken! ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline chamookman

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 04:31:34 am »
I know Emus are closely related to Peacocks, and Emu is VERY tasty ! Gary & Matt and I got some Emu leg tendons once upon a time - AWSOME sinew. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 04:52:20 am »
I know Emus are closely related to Peacocks...

No, they are not. Not even vaguely related, except both are birds.
Emu is related to Ostrich, Peacock is related to Chicken, Pheasant, Quail, Turkey and such. 
8) 8) 8)
Frank from Germany...

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 06:27:13 am »

But very tasty!  And can as my Dad would say "Out run the word of God!"  I once made the mistake of thinking I could get close enough to one with a stick, and have dinner, when I was in my twenties.  After running for all I was worth, it casually looked back at me from about twenty yards, and then took to the air. >:(  It let me chase it for sometime, then after it figured it had played me for a fool, it left the ground, and flew off to other parts of the area.  Now I know how Wil-E Coyote feels! :(  But they are tasty, as are guineas, etc.

Wayne