Author Topic: Need a little help  (Read 6324 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Need a little help
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 03:08:38 pm »
I know that's how I do it chris, glued on after backing with a powerlam
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:08 pm »
My wood working skills are crap, Chris.  ;) I can build selfbows because I've built so many over a long period of time. I'm that blind squirrel you keep hearing about.   ;D
 I thought about using heavier wood for the riser. I have a beautiful piece of osage, 2"x2"x30" and over 20 years old. I could cut it out of that.
 I have to do the glue up in two sessions because working with too many slippery pieces always seems to get screwed up for me.
 The osage isn't going to flex like the ERC does but the handle area should be plenty stiff enough to prevent any handle popping problems.

If you respect your elders, Chris you answer their questions when they ask!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 04:54:56 pm »
Riiiiight...and that's why ya just won another bom cause your a crappy woodworker...lol  :laugh: ...and yes sir ;)

A properly fitted powerlam will prevent any handle popping issues if you think there will be any,and makes a nice looking accent to it,and make it stiffer...but its not the only way to deal with a handle staying on as yins knows...I just think personally its the best way and makes it look a lil more classy...but u know how strongly opinionated I am too  ;)

N Don't worry about using the osage for a handle block...if yins needs more I can get ya plenty more for free.....I burn a lot of that size cut aways n stuff....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:42:23 pm »
The lemon wood is 3/4" thick, The hickory backing strip is 1/4" thick, add a 14" handle with 4" fades and that thing shouldn't bend a bit. I will reduce the backing thickness but I can keep it thicker at the handle and taper it towards the tips. I don't think a power lam is necessary. It's been quite a few years since I've done a glue-up so I don't need to add more "parts", like a power lam, into the mix.
 It even feels alien to me to be working with flat, straight bow wood anyway.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ohma2

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 06:58:31 pm »
Know you will do good on this one pat.and it is aperant eddie hasnt mellowed any in his ooold age.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 07:00:01 pm »
If anything, ohma, he's ripened.  ;)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 07:07:09 pm »
 :o wow this is gona be a goodn   :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 07:29:50 pm »
Plenty of meat there then....sometimes its a nice break from the wild n crazy unpredictable and work some boards ;)

Got any pics? You know we like pics  ;D

I think eddies been eating too much spicy food today  8) ...or drinking too much of that mason jar water  :laugh:

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 07:50:13 pm »
You should do another build along Pat.  I learned so much from your last one.  If not, can't wait to see the finished product :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 11:37:17 pm »
I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow and document the process.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 04:58:46 am »
So from flare to flare, it will be 12" long? And a 14" riser piece would take the fades just 1" past the flare on each end? I think that is the minimum I would go, in fact, I always go at least 1 1/2" past, but that is with limb thickness at near final dimension. ... with your lemonwood being 3/4" thick, working limb will be thinner so some of the 'extra' thickness will naturally be used in creating the fades/dips, so it could be shorter. This extra thickness from dip to dip will also preclude any additional need for a power lam... which I've never needed anyhow :^)

I would use osage or something as dense and durable for the riser... and taper the lemonwood in thickness prior to reflexing and gluing on the backing. I'd keep the hickory backing piece parallel... no need to complicate that at all. Just my $.02
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2014, 09:22:09 am »
Squirrel, this is an American longbow style I'm copying from a book I have that was published in 1936. The fades go from the handle to the flairs so they are actually 4" long. Some of the 14" riser will be eliminated as the bow is tillered and the limbs are thinned. The taper of the pyramidal limbs allow for a smooth,  even bend of the limbs even at 3/4" thick. I've done a dry run and everything is lining up and bending as I expected it would.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 12:08:43 pm »
Im with the others. I would glue the riser on last. Trace the limb on the riser block, cut it out, and sand to the line :)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 12:26:47 pm »
 :'( :'(wow, I'm feeling hurt. No mason jars over here, plenty of Israeli Gold Star, though. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 12:27:19 pm »
well,, all this great advice from you guys is outstanding,, pat what ever you decide to do, I know I  will like the bow when your finished,,, you do remember my mailing address ,right? lol.. I cant wait to see it,, on another note ,luke says hi,, he is looking for someones car to  crawl in,lol... now that's funny, he said youd know what I mean...james