Author Topic: Small house heating  (Read 2540 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
Small house heating
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:28:21 am »
Ok so i have a question my house is to small for a wood stove and id like to add some extra heat without electric heater what do yall use to heat rooms of yalls house atm i have an old perfection heater i picked  up at a estate sale it seems to work real well the reason its  on the freezer is because sullivan is almost walking and that boy loves to tinker with things ;) so i keep it high out of his reach to keep from getting burned

"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline stickbender

Re: Small house heating
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:32 am »

When I was in grade school, we had a kerosene heater, and it worked fine.  Once you got used to the smell of kerosene. :P  Then my Dad got a gas heater, and that was much better.  I had a Friend of mine who had a kerosene heater explode. :o All it did was split the seams, no damage luckily.   I had heard of that happening now and then.  Thankfully never had any problems with ours, and it put out a good amount of heat.  Problem now is finding kerosene.  We used to go down to the corner store, and buy it.  So much for the old kerosene lanterns we used to buy at the hardware store, to take camping with us, when my Friends and I would take off for Saturday night, and head out to the woods, and stay up all night, and trying to find something to kill and eat, as it seems we always never brought enough food, and then we would head home, the next morning,for a shower, breakfast, and bed!  But if you can find fuel for that ol boy, it will heat the house.   ;)

Wayne

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:30:57 pm »
The kerosene smell and the carbon monoxide would scare me about that heater. I'd rather have a small wood stove.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:24:01 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:32:48 pm »
For sure Pat. Id suggest a small Eden Pure heater or something similar.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 02:17:07 pm »
you can get the new kerosene stoves that vent outside, no smell, cheeper than propane, and efficient , where I live you can get it in bulk or 5 gal cans
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 02:28:10 pm »
grew up with kerosene heaters ..noone died from carbon monoxide poisoning,,at times there were 6 of us huddled around it..no growth stunting..no asthma..just space hogging!!   
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:53:37 pm »
If you have piped in LPG gas in your neighbourhood get it.  You have to get the old style pilot flame fireplace as they do not require 120 volt for start up. This is the unit I have.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 05:06:26 pm »
im 16 miles from the nearest town so id have to get a propane tank installed. my house is only 770 sq ft i wish we had to room for a small wood stove but there is no room unless i remove some furniture lol my wife hates the smell of this heater so i guess il use it till i can find another option

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:49 pm »
Sterling, I'm looking into building a small woodstove out of old propane tanks.  I have a cold workshop where space is very limited.  After seeing your camper build I know you have the skills and tools to make one.  There are some good youtube videos showing how to build them.  It might not be the safest option with a couple of little ones crawling around. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 08:39:34 pm »
Yeah i have the materials to build a small stove its just i dont have the room in my living room for it with a couch,freezer,and my wife's sewing table its full :(

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:05:32 pm »

Look into plans for an outside wood stove. ;)
Yeah, we had the whole family around the old kerosene stove, on really cold mornings, and YES it does get cold down here in Florida!  When you have frost on the grass, or ice icicles hanging off of the oranges, it is cold!   And it is a Damp cold.  Sometimes someone would get too close to the stove, and yelp, and move away, and you could reposition to a better spot, while turning different sides of you body and hands near the stove. ;D

Wayne

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 01:35:32 am »
You need to get a set of BDUs and an old Soviet army officers uniform (the glossier the jackboots the better). Then you and the missus can play "Captured U.S. paratrooper and Soviet interrogator" and the house heat will take care of itself. Obviously, you'll be the paratrooper.  >:D
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 07:05:43 am »
You know my cabin is small,I have a flat wall mounted propane heater mounted to the wall,ventless ,I run it off the big propane tank now but for years ran it off a 20 lb. bottle,just drilled a hole in the wall and ran the pipe for the propane tank to the outside. Works great and has 2 settings,high/low,no electric needed. It will run you out if you leave it on high. Takes very little space and has a grate over the front to keep from getting burnt.Cheap also if I remember right.I will try and get a picture. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 09:53:06 am »
Pappy, my parents house(1800's 2 story) is heated 100% by those. You can pick them up for around $100. They got them at most hardware stores and they work great. You can mount em on a wall or free stand them. Im gettin one for back-up heat cuz my house is all electric... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 01:49:37 pm »

You might check out the infrared heaters.  No hot surfaces, and will heat your house really well, and hardly any draw on electricity! ;)  My neighbors in Montana have them.  I am going to get some for my house, when I get back out there.  I didn't get any before I left, and wish I had.  My electric bill went up, with the wall heaters going all the time to keep the temp above freezing.  I have the fan on, and so far the temps. only been around 40 or so, inside the house.  I had winterized the house, and shop before I left.  But check out those infrared heaters.  I think Sportsmans guide sells them also.

Wayne