Author Topic: Self sockets for take downs?  (Read 2821 times)

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
Self sockets for take downs?
« on: January 05, 2014, 06:14:10 pm »
Okay I was able to procure some of the nicest osage I've ever gotten my hands on. See pic below. Some of the rings are almost a 1/2" and the piece is about 43" long. I was already able to cut this into two billets using the large heart wood rings. I'm wanting to make a takedown with it. Does anyone have any good suggestions or links for makeing your own takedown sockets?
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Self sockets for take downs?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:03:25 pm »
Somewhere there is a "how to" for a take down handle made from fiberglass strips. There was an article in an od PA magazine too.  Also in an old PA was an article about making a take down sleeve from 1 1/2" rigid conduit. This one was written by Rusty Crain and Mike Westvang.
Big Jim(I don't think he is a PA sponsor) has a FG take down handle kit but I think its pretty pricy.
Do a search in the "how to" section. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:44:53 pm »
I'll check those out. Thanks Pat

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:49:37 pm »
Just join em in a pipe and glue and pin em. How much would u actually have it apart?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 07:50:49 pm »
I started a thread about takedown options a month or two ago. Thick rawhide was also suggested as an option for a takedown sleeve.  Havnt tried it myself though.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 07:58:24 pm »
I am just finishing a deer rawhide sleeve takedown. Its been pulled to 24" or so and hasn't gone boom yet. I'll keep you posted (literally) in the next few days,

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 08:05:50 pm »
There was a post I think here on PA from a guy over in Germany who used stainless steel tubing inside schedule 80 pipe. Do a search and send him a PM to see how it worked.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:24:29 pm »
Was considering the rawhide option. Saw some posts about it on other sites. Wonder if raw hide wrapped with sinew would work. Would be cool to make one from all primitive materials. I might experiment with that and see how it works. One guy tested some simple paper wrapped around several times bound tightly with linen thread and super glue. He said it's been shot about 20 times and was still holding. Well off to experiment, I'll post back here once I do some testing.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:30:42 pm »
Blair - that would be a great option if I was just looking to mate two pieces together quickly. But I'm looking at options to use on bows I'll be giving to other people.

Bubbles - didn't catch that one. Woulda saved me some effort

Accipiter -  let me know how that's works for you!

Dan k - do you remember his name on this site?

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 10:23:12 pm »
As an additional thought for the rawhide/sinew socket, using a sinew cord to tightly wrap the rawhide. Might be the better way to go than just glueing on a bunch of sinew then having it tighten as it dries and not being able to get the other limb in after a few months. Would also be more aesthetically pleasing of a handle.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 10:33:34 pm »
There is a guy on here from Alaska that made a very cool t/d without any type of sleeve, if you do a search on all primitive t/d you may find it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 11:01:52 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,38294.0.html

Found it, that one is going into my bag of tricks. Very cool

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 12:21:16 am »
HOLY COW JASON..that is the holy grail of osage...MAN,that is some fine wood...even i could chase that...great find..john

Offline snag

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 10:35:59 am »
Carson sells a reasonably priced metal takedown sleeve.  Trying to find some time to put mine to use....
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 10:38:58 am »
I'd be concerned about moisture with a rawhide/sinew takedown system form both the atmosphere and your hands.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC