Author Topic: Long Flat Douglas Maple, 75" NTN  (Read 3498 times)

Offline campx

Long Flat Douglas Maple, 75" NTN
« on: January 03, 2014, 01:25:24 am »
First off, the stats.
75 inches NTN.  38 pounds at 28".  2" wide and 1/2" thick at the fades.  2" wide for a third of the limb length, then tapers down to 5/8"wide, 3/8" thick, at the tips. If you were to put it in a category, I guess it would classify as an American Flat Bow?

This bow is from a long straight stave of Douglas maple, only 2.5" in diameter.  Had some real nice natural reflex in it.  After I cut it in half with a bandsaw (!) and debarked it, I clamped it down hard onto some exposed studs in my shed outside, and let it dry real good.  I pulled it off of the studs, and behold, it was still straight and useable side to side, with the reflex still there!

Since it was only 2.5" in diameter, I decided it was a candidate for decrowning.  First time for everything I guess.  Put a nice razor edge on the drawknife, and away I went.  I didn't find it too difficult, except that the rings don't show up all that great on this maple.  I actually used some Rit dye and alcohol to stain the back, just to make the grain pop.  I managed to get most of the grain to run parallel, even through some interesting dips and knots.  Will I do this again, is it worth the hassle?  Ya, probably, I'm a sukker for punishment!

I then set-up sawhorses beside my computer desk, and heat treated both limbs in about 4 hours, while drinking copious amounts of Molson Canadian and playing World of Tanks online.  I can kill 4 hours this way, and feel like I have accomplished something, as opposed to standing in my garage with a heat gun, being bored outta my head!

Tillering this 75 inch long beast wasn't all that good, I really struggled this time.  The last 3 or 4 bows I made seemed to shape themselves, with minimal tillering.  This thing, I just couldn't get the bends to match.  I also screwed up right at the get-go, and thinned out the limbs too much, so I lost a bunch of weight.  Lesson learned.

Green and black Rit dye, and rubbing alcohol, as stain.  Linseed oil and beeswax to finish.

Shot this thing 50 times so far, and it went back to 2 inches of reflex on both limbs after resting about an hour.
May put a nice grip on it....or just leave 'er be......thanks for looking!

Top limb not to my liking....but I'm done!

IMG_3316 by CampX, on Flickr

My daughter, who is 4'1" tall, pulling it back.

IMG_3283 by CampX, on Flickr

back of bow, after decrowning.

IMG_3291 by CampX, on Flickr

big knot near the top nock

IMG_3293 by CampX, on Flickr

my heat gun set-up, which allows me to drink beer and play video games at the same time (multi-tasking!!!)

IMG_3300 by CampX, on Flickr

Offline Peacebow_Coos

Re: Long Flat Douglas Maple, 75" NTN
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 02:59:17 am »
Looks pretty good, I like the dye.  Might be able to pike that sucker if you're looking for more weight, but when you're done you're done right!?  Keep 'em comin

Offline RyanR

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 06:27:08 am »
That is a very creative jig for your heat gun

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 07:46:21 am »
Bet that baby is smooth to shoot. :) Nice job.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 08:56:32 am »
An all day shooter hitting ten rings every time with that one ;)

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:40:18 am »
That's a nice one Camp.  Looks like a sweet target bow.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 09:46:57 am »
Love the picture with the archer about 1, 3rd the size of this monster bow! kool bow as well!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 10:27:05 am »
That is a very creative jig for your heat gun

Heck yeah it is.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 10:49:52 am »
I think you did pretty well with that. Your top limb does have a flat spot just above the top fade, but it's not the end of the world. Otherwise your tiller is great.

I bet it's a real sweet shooter, with those specs. Your daughter (I'm assuming it's your daughter?) has some serious juice to be able to pull that bow back! I hope she's a shooter!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 11:15:20 am »
Great pic of your Daught' she has a heroic stance  :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline campx

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 12:27:14 pm »
Thanks guys! 
 The release on this bow is smooooooooth.  All I have right now is carbon fibre arrows, but at least the gpp is close, and they magically zip to the target without you even noticing they are gone.........smooooooth.  I have a feeling this bow is gonna be my walking-around bow, even though its 4 inches taller than me!

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 02:01:20 pm »
Nice job.  Nice bow!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 09:48:51 pm »
I like the way back looks with rings running parallel. May have to find me a stave worth decrowning.  Great Job!