Author Topic: FIRST BOW  (Read 1282 times)

Offline mountainman

FIRST BOW
« on: January 01, 2014, 01:36:47 pm »
Hello, I am Dimitrije. I am trying to make my first bow from hazel.  I have a hazel sapling that is 4cm (1.6") wide, about 2m high.I m aiming for 45# at 28" and bendy handle. Can you help me with dimensions?

Offline StickMan47

Re: FIRST BOW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:56:33 pm »
Welcome to PA Dimitrije! I'm too new at this for giving advice that you are seeking but you have come to the right place. The people on here are great! I have learned a lot from them. Glad to have you with us, and welcome to the addiction!
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:03:54 pm »
Start reducing the belly, leave the width alone except for tapering the last 8" to 10" to 3/4" tips. Get both limbs bending evenly and together and leave the handle area a bit stiff for now. You can bring the bend back into the handle near the end of tillering process.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 02:05:00 pm »
Del's the guy to go to for advice on hazel, hopefully he'll check this and give you some tips! G'luck with your first one - slow and steady is the only way.  Your draw weight sounds sensible, and with a bendy handle 28" should be perfect as a learning curve.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:48:52 am »
Thank you for help. I will post pics of the sapling and hopefully finished bow as soon as I can.

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:03:19 am »
Leave it full width other than adjusting the width of the (probably) wider limb to match the width of the upper part of the tree. Eg. make the whole thing the same width!
Seeing as it is your first bow I would make it 68 -70 inch nock to nock.
Flat belly.
Be very careful anywhere there are pin knots. They will chrysal if they run across the limb at all.
Heat treating will really help with hazel. Don't add any reflex just aim to get the limbs straight if they need adjusting.
Hazel can make excellent bows so good luck!
Just go slow.
Never pull it further than you need to see a problem.
Posting pictures as you progress will allow folk to help you with getting it bending correctly. Your bow should bend very little at the center with the bend increasing as you move along the limbs towards the tips. With the last 8 -10 inches getting progressively stiffer out to the nocks.

Offline mountainman

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:10:24 am »
Problems:

On the top limb at last 7" there are two dead branches( or knots, I m not sure). And rot at the bottom limb. Does it make any diference?