Author Topic: Making Hide glue from deer knees and toe joints?  (Read 5103 times)

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
Making Hide glue from deer knees and toe joints?
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:30:09 pm »
Anyone ever make hide glue from the seers knees and toes/hooves. Got my hands on some legs and was wondering if they would make good hide glue. The joints are packed full of small sinew. Anyone ever tried this?
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

mikekeswick

Re: Making Hide glue from deer knees and toe joints?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 03:41:33 pm »
I've never tried it but if you put them in 65 deg maximum water for a 8 - 12 hours. Strain what you've got through fine muslin then reduce the mixture down a bit by letting the water evaporate over a low heat again. Then put it in a tray in the fridge...if it's has gelled before 1 hour is up you are onto a winner!
There will be plenty of collogen in the knees but I wouldn't bother with the hooves.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 04:47:44 pm »
if there is some hide on their you could make hide glue?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 08:37:40 pm »
Probably doesn't make sense to use parts that are naturally contaminated with high oil levels of an unusual composition.
 A unique type of fat/oil is in the lower legs of ungulates that remains liquid at room temperature. This allows them to have flexibility of the limbs while the legs are very cold.
 Intuition says that's going to be hard to get out of the glue once you start the process.

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 08:42:18 pm »
If my soup making experience is of any use shouldn't the fat float to the top?

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 10:30:43 pm »
Yes, but the oil that is in lower legs doesn't behave the same as regular fat.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 11:28:35 pm »
I would have to disagree with PatM.  Fat will float on water, water is the solvent that breaks down the collagen.

But there is very little glue to be made from joints and knuckles.  And without a decent chem lab, you will never turn hooves into glue.  Rather than work with this material, use the hide and the tendons in the legs.  The leg sinews make a very high grade hide glue. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 11:55:46 pm »
It will float, but not in a way that can readily be skimmed off. Normal fat will congeal  but neatsfoot oil would have to be practically frozen to be skimmed off.
 Part of the superiority of Knox gelatin is its exceptionally low fat content.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 12:02:37 am »
It will float, but not in a way that can readily be skimmed off. Normal fat will congeal  but neatsfoot oil would have to be practically frozen to be skimmed off.
 Part of the superiority of Knox gelatin is its exceptionally low fat content.

...and readily available at all grocery stores
...and NO SMELL (wife/significant other approved)
...and no one looks funny when you make Jello Shooters with it, unlike the hide glue and tequila shooters I served last 4th of July!

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 12:10:05 am »
Well I'm all about at least attempting it once. It's been cooking now for a few hours. I'll let you know if if it's worth the time or just another dead end. My next step is to use the tendons and rawhide. Cam the hide on the legs be cooked into glue without dehairing it?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 12:19:15 am »
Sure, just run it thru cheesecloth or something else to strain it out. 

Don Case

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 02:01:13 am »
When it comes time to take the fat/oil off, fold a piece of paper towel in half and lay it flat on the soup, uhh, glue. The towel will absorb the fat in preference to the water/glue/soup. Your wife probably knows this. Really, making glue is the same as making a good broth just use hide shavings and sinew in place of oxtails.
 Another way to get the fat off is to pour the liquid into a tall, narrow bottle. The fat will concentrate in the neck. Suck it off with a turkey baster.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 03:34:38 pm »
Lots of good ideas. Whelp so far it's smells horrible. I let it cook on low for about 16 hours or so. Removed the excess junk by straining it thru a cloth. The left over oils have started to stick and dry to the sides of the pan as the water level drops. I'm also skimming the oil as it pools together.  I'll post more after I put it in the fridge later once it concentrates down some more. Gonna try the paper towel trick before it goes into the fridge.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 07:58:15 pm »
Whelp i strained the whole batch again before putting it into the container and made sure to have all the oil on the top soaked out of it (the paper towel trick works great). I then put it in the fridge at room temperature and in about 40 minutes it was extremely dense jello. I'm guessing that means it's good glue? Never made hide glue before but I hope this is good stuff. Below is a pick of it sticking to the dish while sideways after only 40 minutes in the fridge.

Don Case

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 08:08:19 pm »
Looks good! If it doesn't work just add some peas and carrots and you've got supper >:D