Author Topic: My new portable free standing tiller tree  (Read 7012 times)

Offline DuBois

My new portable free standing tiller tree
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:00:40 pm »
My old set up is in the no heat garage and I wanted something to use in a crowded basement that has no free wall space to hang on so this is what I came up with.
I plan to drill some holes on the base for setting tools, pencils in and gonna put a leather or Velcro strap over the top to secure the bow in case of string slippage or something.
I grabbed my very first surviving bow for a demo and I am very pleased with it. It doesn't want to tip at all. I thought about putting a base with a seat but just wanted to try it like this first and I like it this way. First pic somehow got squashed by photobucket but you get the idea.
Hope you like and thanks for looking. Pay no attention to the goofy fella pulling the rope  ::)
Marco DuBois

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:48:42 pm by DuBois »

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: My new portable free standing tiller tree
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:04:46 pm »
Looks nice.

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:11:14 pm »
Observe as the silent beast tillers a bow with fierce concentration...
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline DuBois

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:46:10 pm »
Observe as the silent beast tillers a bow with fierce concentration...
LMAO  ;D

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:11:25 pm »
I like your idea of bracing it with your feet. I sure beats tying it to a workbench or car. :) :)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 08:28:30 pm »
I like it , it would beat waiting for good weather or light out to go out to the tillering tree , I could use one like that ( another winter project ahead ) , it would fit nicely in a closet till needed .
Defiantly better than what I had in mind , thanks for posting it.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:52:18 pm »
I like the concept. My only concern is that your lower legs and feet may be exposed if a bow explodes at full draw (which happens if you build enough bows). There is also a chance that you will  topple backwards when that happens and possibly hit your head.
Gordon

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:01:58 pm »
I like to be a bit further away from the tiller tree. Not because I'm worried about flying chunks, but because I can see the bending shape better from a bit further back.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:10:10 pm »
I like the concept. My only concern is that your lower legs and feet may be exposed if a bow explodes at full draw (which happens if you build enough bows). There is also a chance that you will  topple backwards when that happens and possibly hit your head.

I went over backwards when a bow slipped off my "bolted to the wall" tillering tree, knocked myself silly...well, sillier. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 09:13:19 pm »
I like to be a bit further away from the tiller tree. Not because I'm worried about flying chunks, but because I can see the bending shape better from a bit further back.
Yeah, it is a bit close. I am still trying to find my style I guess and in a way I like being close enough to grab the bow, swing it around to see it from the other side, and mark where it needs work without getting up from the seat. I been trying a little bit of tillering with no tree holding the bow in hand against chest too, which is as close as it gets but some guys do real good with it I am told.
It gives a good close up work ability but not as good of a view as being back a bit more.

Good points! I guess I better wear boots and get something soft behind me.

I like it , it would beat waiting for good weather or light out to go out to the tillering tree , I could use one like that ( another winter project ahead ) , it would fit nicely in a closet till needed .
Defiantly better than what I had in mind , thanks for posting it.
You're welcome.
I tilted the upright 2x4 about 2" toward me so the rope was pulling straight down instead of pulling and dragging against the front of the board.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 11:28:28 pm »
I like it! Looks like you'll get some exercise on those back muscles. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 11:19:08 am »
I like it! Looks like you'll get some exercise on those back muscles. Jawge
Thanks George,
I was gonna try to make one that used a foot pedal to draw the bow to keep the hands free but decided I was going a bit overboard.
It does kinda look like a gym workout machine. I think it would be safest upstairs in the recliner in case I fly backwards but no one else seems to agree.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 05:56:54 pm »
Very good job on that.but I wouldnt want my legs and bare feet under those limbs.they do blow up from time to time.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 01:24:00 am »
This is awesome.  As a renter, I can't be attaching large permanent structures like a tillering tree to the wall.  Up until now I've been using weighted bags and my phone video camera to catch shots and tiller and excercising the limbs by hand.  I'd rather have the bow explode and smack my feet or legs than have them explode and smack my fingers and head like has happened in the past.  Also, Starting to make more and more bows I've started to feel overuse of the shoulder and arm muscles from all the limb excercising I have to do while tillering. One of these would make things muuch easier. Thanks so much for posting this!
Do you think it would work with an extension to the foot holds to set you back further from the tree? Add another pulley right where the footholds are?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 01:55:05 am »
This is awesome.  As a renter, I can't be attaching large permanent structures like a tillering tree to the wall.  Up until now I've been using weighted bags and my phone video camera to catch shots and tiller and excercising the limbs by hand.  I'd rather have the bow explode and smack my feet or legs than have them explode and smack my fingers and head like has happened in the past.  Also, Starting to make more and more bows I've started to feel overuse of the shoulder and arm muscles from all the limb excercising I have to do while tillering. One of these would make things muuch easier. Thanks so much for posting this!
Do you think it would work with an extension to the foot holds to set you back further from the tree? Add another pulley right where the footholds are?
I am thinking I will put a hinge in front of the footrests attached to a 2x6 that can lay down or fold up against the tree and then put a seat of some kind on that 2x6 so the feet will be back. I may do that later tonight so I will post a pic if I do.
Glad you like it  ;D