Author Topic: Question on building ishi stick and pressure flakers (updated & pics added)  (Read 11616 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Question on building ishi stick and pressure flakers
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 04:36:13 am »
One thing I need one day is a lathe and at last you can turn some straight pieces instead of how I made some of m ishi sticks... I used to work fabricating adaptive equipment for handicapped people and had sheets of 2" hard plastic that I cut some scraps into 20" x 1.5" and used my band saw and kept cutting corner edges off then rolled them over on my belt/disc sander till round.  Then put it into a vise and drilled holes into both ends one for a heavy copper I think its 3/8" and other a 5/16''  and of course set screws... ne thing to keep in mind is to drill the set screw hole a lot smaller than the screw it will hold better.  There are so many ways to make tools its not funny.  If you want more modern a popular idea is making a collet typed end something like an old awl or hand drill.  You can adjust your copper by a turn of your hand.  If you want a more primitive look then as mentioned sinew wrap the end or twist up some plant fiber cordage.  I like the ulna bone and I need to obtain one one of these days.  I have about completely left the copper kit and transitioned back to all Abo techniques.  I do feel a bit weird using antler stuck into a plastic ishi stick though...what would be cool if you could turn some aluminum to make a custom piece that can adjust it without tools!  I do agree with the heat treating wood as it definatly alters the wood making it harder.  I know you can get almost everything u need at homedepot and not sure what the fitting is called but its in the copper fitting isle but theres a sort of reducer that Ive used in the past that can be fitted over the end that strengthens the tip too!  If u need copper then Neolithics.com has a a lot to chose from then flintknappingtools.com  both are good and the owners are both good people! trial and error...Im sure u will make something and want to make another but better.  Good luck an post pictures!  No matter how old it gets its always good to see someone create there own tools!  If I can help with anything shoot me a PM and I will get back to u!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Marks

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 11:11:56 am »
Thanks Patrick. You too Russ. And everyone else too.

I'll have to wait till I get home tonight to watch the videos. I was watching a video last night on indirect percussion (may have been yours) and my wife was having a fit. The sound of hitting the flaker was driving her nuts so I had to watch it on mute. Didn't really get the lesson like I wanted.

I was thinking about the set screw. I'm assuming I need to drill the hole for the set screw down thru the rings right? This will help keep the rings from separating.

Russ, I was at Lowes yesterday and was going to buy a copper reducer but it didn't have a barcode and my lunch was running short so I left it behind. The cashier was going to try and look it up but neither of us knew what it was called either.

My progress will probably be on hiatus for a little while. Today is my first child's due date. We will be inducing on the 2nd. I have a feeling Emily won't want me spending our last night at home before the baby comes in the garage working on knapping tools.  ::)

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 04:09:29 am »
Wow congrats!  Its such a blessing to have children and to bethere when the are born!  Good luck and hope it all goes well for you and your wife!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline JEB

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 10:14:10 am »
Get your tail to the hospital!!!, LOL  My wife is an OB nurse of 41 years. She just walked in the door and said no New Years babies were born yet.

Offline Marks

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 09:31:37 pm »
Patrick, turns out it was your video that my wife was mad at me about. Its a small world I guess.

We go into the hospital at 1am tonight. I don't imagine we will have the first baby this year. The Dr. originally told us he would induce her at midnight last night but changed his plans on us last week. My wife just read a story of a set of twins that were born. One was born in 2013 and the other in 2014. haha.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 12:30:47 am »
Patrick, turns out it was your video that my wife was mad at me about. Its a small world I guess.

We go into the hospital at 1am tonight. I don't imagine we will have the first baby this year. The Dr. originally told us he would induce her at midnight last night but changed his plans on us last week. My wife just read a story of a set of twins that were born. One was born in 2013 and the other in 2014. haha.
Ah So, did they name them Yin and Yang?  Marks, for Ishi stick, you can drill out the end of a Co2 cartridge to the diameter of the wire, and saw the cartridge in half, or about 3/4's of the way to the end of the cartridge, and sand the edges smooth, and tap in on the stick, you can use epoxy if you want, and drill a hole about 3/4's to an inch from the tip, and put in a self tapping screw to hold the wire in.  Then drill in from the tip to the depth you want the wire to go, so that you will either have a long wire in the stick, or just a little bit longer, and a bunch of pieces cut to length to replace the used ones.  That will keep the stick from splitting. ;)

Wayne

Offline Marks

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 03:27:19 pm »
I'm floored. The generosity of the members here is unmatched by any other forum I've been on. My wife and I went in to the hospital Tues night 1am to induce labor. At 9:36pm Wednesday night she delivered an 8lb 15oz 23" baby boy with his daddy's big head (bless her heart). The days since have been spent trying to catch up on sleep in a hospital. <---Not happening :-[ .  I barely know what day it is.
Well, we are expecting some record breaking cold weather for NW Alabama in the next few days so I came home to cinch up and insulate the dogs' house and bring in the mail.
I found a little package marked first class in the mailbox with what I thought was a small piece of copper that one of yall offered to send me. Instead, I find a well made hand pressure flaker and an extra piece of copper and a wonderful note. Maybe I'm a little emotional from my experiences this week but I'm speechless (actually I'm rambling but you get the idea). You could have bought me a car and I'd be no less surprised or thankful. I've got to get back to the hospital but I wanted to take a second to express my gratitude to everybody on here. I don't know how some people feel about calling out their good deeds so I'll keep it anonymous for now unless I get permission but thank you very much.  Baby pics will come at a later date.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:45:03 pm by Marks »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 08:46:53 pm »

Well first off, congratulations to your Wife and You, 8) and second, tell her that the video that she did not like, is not anywhere near as aggravating as your new baby beating a spoon on a pot or pan, is going to be!  Hmmmm, I think she will come to appreciate the noise of the video, after a little drummer boy routine.  Hint, you can teach your baby how to hit the pan, or pot with the spoon, or just the other pot.  It's uh, eye, hand coordination training, yeah, that's the ticket! ;) ;D    Let us know how that turns out . ;) ::)

Wayne

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 04:11:46 am »
Congratulations!!  You've got quite the adventure in front of you.  As a side benefit, flintknapping can be a good escape from stressful times... not that you'll have any of those.  ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JEB

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 08:22:33 pm »
OUSTANDING job mom and dad.

Offline Marks

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 11:45:29 pm »
Well I said I would update this when I got the chance. Well here goes.

I still haven't finished the pressure flaker I started but since I was given the nice pressure flaker I postponed mine and made me 2 boppers. 3/4" and a 1".

Tonight I took a little time and attempted my first point. Attempt being the key word. I used a beer bottle bottom and it broke in half part way thru so I tried to salvage a small "point". Knapping is much harder than it looks.

Ahnlaashock

I took a piece of the copper wire used for grounding.  I used a small screwdriver to make about a 3/4 inch hole in the end of a hardware store dowel.  I hammered it home like it was a nail, and then rounded the end of the dowel with my knife.  So far, no splitting problems of any kind, but I have just about worn the tip to a nub.  I will pull it and drive another soon. 
I know it isn't fancy, and there are much better systems, but it will get you up and knapping with a long flaking tool really quick and easily.  I used 1 inch dowel.