Author Topic: Help with propeller twists  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
Help with propeller twists
« on: December 30, 2013, 12:24:50 am »
Hey yall,
I have read on here before about propeller twists and that you can get them out with heat and a few staves I have look great besides the fact that they have a propeller twist in them! I tried using the search bar to find some post with pictures for the right technique of getting the twist out but could not find any. Could someone point me in the right direction for detailed instructions or photos of how to get rid of the twist, I don't want to go destroy a good stave.

Thanks
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Help with propeller twists
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:33:36 am »
PICTURES JAKE!!!  >:D  You'd be surprised what you can get away with.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:35:20 am »
I've done a few build alongs but that was a few years ago.  You could search my posts in 2010 or 2011. I have a build along in the "How To" section where I build an elm recurve. There might be some heat straightening in that thread. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:48:27 am »
@tim I will tomorrow! I cant find my sd card

@pat thanks I will see if I can find those posts!
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 01:04:40 am »
No posts I know of but I am sure boarriorbows on YouTube has some. How to section would be a good place to look too.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:30:40 am »
Simple clamp your stave by the handle in a vice. I use a very big adjustable spanner to go around the limb (obviously the limbs need to be at least floor tillered) Once it's a snug fit on the limb start heating the twisted spot. Once you have some heat in the wood get a 2 litlre drinks bottle and tie it to the end of the spanners handle, fill with water until you see some untwisting. Then carry on heating until the twist is out. The bottle of water is miles better than just adding a weight because it's infinately adjustable...you just pour out a little water. If you don't have a very big adjustable lamp two slats of wood 1 inch thick either side of the limb and proceed as above.
Really easy once you've done a few.
My other advice is don't worry too much about propellor twist, a bit doesn't hurt a bow at all

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 07:59:11 am »
Recurved tips give a great lever to take out prop twist.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 02:29:18 pm »
I don't bother with them unless they are greater that 30-35 degrees. If I have to fix it, this is how. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/fixtwist.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »
Twist is fairly easy to get out.  I do basically the same as Mikekeswick.  I put the handle in the vice and put a C-clamp on the end.  I hang some big wrenches off of the handle of the clamp.  I put something under the limb to keep if from sagging down from the weight.  Then I heat the limb and when it gets to the right temperature it will untwist itself.  I like to go a little past straight to allow for some spring back.  The next time I untwist a bow I'll take some pictures for a how to.

You can also use a caul if the twist isn't to bad.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 12:04:33 am »
Thanks for all the info guys yall are sure a helpful bunch!  :)

Also these are the staves in question,

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 01:26:59 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o.         That is a ton of twist.  :o :o :o :o.  The one on the right isn't too bad but you could easily untwist it. The one on the left is 180 degrees! You can try getting that out but I would nearly throw it away!!
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 01:42:15 am »
What kind of wood are those?  They should straighten out.  You might have better luck with steam than dry heat.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Barefoot_Jake

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 03:37:30 am »
What kind of wood are those?  They should straighten out.  You might have better luck with steam than dry heat.
Its im 95% sure its swamp oak, and you dont think dry heat will work at all?

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 04:53:55 am »
No it's far too severe on the left stave - that would be firewood for me! Make sure to eyeball the bark before cutting - you can pretty much always tell if it's twisted.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 06:55:40 am »
I wouldn't give up yet on the one on the left yet. You could cut in half and splice it - just a thought, Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.