Author Topic: tapered arrows  (Read 10628 times)

Offline jkyarcher

tapered arrows
« on: December 28, 2013, 07:02:31 pm »
I have a couple of questions about arrow building and not enough experience to answer them.

I was reading the current PA issue and there is the article about barreled or tapered arrows. I was wondering if this is worth the time and trouble. If I used store bought arrow shafts spined to a certain stiffness and tapered them would it change the spine or would it stay about the same.

Also what is a good way to cut broadhead grooves and nocks so they are straight?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: tapered arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:27:06 pm »
Yes you can taper doweled shafts and IMO it does make a difference in their paradox and flight. I have tapered the rear 9" of some poplar shafts and like the results. I've not barrel tapered shafts but from what I understand about barreling is it maintains the spine(mostly) but drops the physical weight. I think it is used mostly for flight shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:12:03 pm »
I was just reading about this in my new TBBlll (Christmas present ;D ;D) and got to wondering. Would using a natural stick and using the thin end for the nock end have the same effect as tapering the nock end? Maybe not enough taper?
Don

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:20:58 pm »
Some natural materials have a serious taper to them.
Wild cherry shoots can be almost 3/8th inch on t (Christmas present  ) and got to wondering. Would using a natural stick and using the thin end for the nock end have the she fat end, and only 1/4th on the other(like 30" shoot).
'boo can taper something rediculous too-
I have some that goes from 1" to about 1/4th inch in about 5 feet.
I don't think too little taper would be a problem... but consistant tapering might.
whenever I make shoot shafts, the fat end is the nock.
Never tried barrel tapering.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 08:40:14 pm »
Don, using shoots and cane for arrows made me think about tapering doweled shafts. The same principles apply. With the taper of shoots and cane you can reduce the effective spine of an arrow by 10#. I think you get a quicker recovery and better clearance from shoots, cane and tapered shafting. Most of my sourwood shafts and cane shafts are about 3/8" it the point end and 5/16" at the nock for a 29" to 30" shaft.
 If you  and jkyarcher are interested I'll post pics of my tapering jig.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 10:20:16 pm »
I would like to see some tapering jig photos! 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:36:51 pm »
Here are a few pics. I'll try to explain it as I go. It is basically pretty simple.

this is the jig. The side rails are adjustable for different diameters.

the wing nuts are for adjusting the widths. The wood peg set in is the stop(for 10" taper) the holes in the bottom are for the sawdust to fall through. The abrasion on the rails is a 120grt sanding belt cut to size and added on with double sided carpet tape. Both the sanding belt and double sided tape are from ACE Hardware

I added these different diameter dowels to use for setting up the jig. I believe they are 5/16", 11/32" and 3/8". they fit loose where they are and fit the holes down the center of the base where the saw dust goes.
 I chuck the dowel in my electric drill and spin the shaft pretty fast as I slowly push the shaft into the jig and move it back and forth as you go in.. Don't force it and take it slow and easy.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:44:18 pm by Pat B »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:52:48 pm »
Nice post Pat !
Good pics and nice tapering tool !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 02:30:06 pm »
Guy, I made it with one 1x4x3' Lowe's red oak board...plus a few dowel scraps. ;)

homemadetools

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 04:18:00 pm »
Homemade tools guy here, not a spammer  8) (PROOF: 350+ forums that know us)

Just a note that we featured your excellent arrow tapering jig in our HomemadeTools.net newsletter, fully credited to you of course, and linked to this discussion: http://mailchi.mp/buildthreads/shredder-yardstick-food-plot-tools

I hope we've been able to send you lots of traffic. Cheers.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 08:53:12 pm »
I can't take credit for the idea but I appreciate you passing it on...and giving me credit.  :OK

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 11:39:46 pm »
Pat,
Nice jig, would it also work for sizing shoot shafts shaft?  Might save a lot of sanding and scraping by hand.  Can you post a pic showing it in operation?  I don't quite see the reason for all the holes, unless they are for gradual reduction for each size shaft. Congratulations on the "Off site" recognition! Thanks, Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 06:09:54 am »
The pics from Photobucket won't load for me :( Even after disabling all my blockers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 07:30:32 am »
You are the arrow shaft man Pat.Made a similar shaft taper jig too.Not as nice as yours though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 08:01:08 am »
Well documented, Pat. Even I can understand how it works.    8)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857